[comp.dcom.lans] Info wanted on twisted pair lans

roytar@syntrex.uucp (Roy Tarantino) (12/18/87)

Hi,
I'm collecting information on any experiences running Banyan Vines
or Novell (or any net os) on twisted pair wire.  My problem is that
I know there is 4 pair wire in the walls but the type and quality
is unknown (I know its not IBM type 3).  Some of the solutions I've
read about include:

  Pronet 4 on type 3 cable
  3com's pair tamer
  Starlan (not really in the running)

Any info on the above or others would be greatly appreciated, I'll
summerize and post to this news group (I know others are interested).

Thanks in advance,
roy
rutgers!pyrnj!roytar!syntrex

roytar@syntrex.uucp (Roy Tarantino) (12/18/87)

Sorry , I made a mistake on my net address the correct one is:
rutgers!pyrnj!syntrex!roytar

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/19/87)

Normal proteon wire is two twisted pairs with grounds.  The stuff
proteon supplies in the 75meter lengths is pretty flimsy stuff,
so you might be able to get away with it.  One pair is a differential
of data going to the interface, the other from.  Power is provided to
wire centers via DC bias between ground and one pair, and the join
ring signal is DC bias between ground and the other pair.

-Ron

wunder@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (12/22/87)

>  Starlan (not really in the running)

HP is selling some "Starlan-10" equipment, which is 10Mbit Starlan.
In particular, there is a Starlan-10 to Ethernet bridge (HP 28647A).
I expect that the engineers looked at the RFI aspects, since HP seems
to be pretty careful about standards.  Other equipment from that
division (Roseville Networks) has been very reliable, so I expect the
bridge to be solid.  We do use the 28645A ThinLAN Hub (a five-way
repeater with one thick tap and four BNC's) all over the place.

I expect that you can get proper information about these from an HP
sales office.

Walter Underwood
HP Corporate Engineering

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (12/22/87)

In article <251@syntrex.uucp>, roytar@syntrex.uucp (Roy Tarantino) writes:
> Hi,
> I'm collecting information on any experiences running Banyan Vines
> or Novell (or any net os) on twisted pair wire.  My problem is that
> I know there is 4 pair wire in the walls but the type and quality
> is unknown (I know its not IBM type 3).  Some of the solutions I've
> read about include:
>
>   Pronet 4 on type 3 cable
>   3com's pair tamer
>   Starlan (not really in the running)

I'm not sure why you say Starlan is not really in the running, but
it works, using two-pair telephone station wire of the kind that's
likely to be in the wall.

Yes, I know there is a four-pair connector on the AT&T Starlan
board, but it only uses two pair.  You can run Novell Netware on it,
or the AT&T Starlan software (which they bought from 3com).
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (12/23/87)

In article <251@syntrex.uucp> roytar@syntrex.UUCP (Roy Tarantino) writes:
>  Starlan (not really in the running)

	As someone else mentioned HP is selling a product that is
commonly referred to as 10M StarLAN, borrowing the term from the AT&T
product and technology.
	The good news is that 10M StarLAN (or UTP Enet, Unshielded
Twisted Pair Ethernet) has an excellent chance of becoming an 802
standard.  This technology is really StarLAN speeded up and refined.
You have a transceiver with an AUI interface to your host (or the xcvr
is mounted internally) and a RJ interface to your wall.  In your
wiring closet is a "concentrator" (really a UTP multiport repeater).
In many respects this technology, if successful, could become a
replacement for the thin coax architecture.  The wonderful thing about
this technology is that in many cases the wire is already there and
it's the same wire you already use for async terminals and telephones.
We have a hundred years experience with this stuff.
	But standards are important. You want to be able to buy
workstations from your favorite vendor and plug them into anybody's
concentrator and make them work.  I wouldn't buy anybody's product now
if they couldn't tell me they would make it conform to the standard
(if it doesn't already).
	H-P, Ungermann-Bass, Synoptics, Wang, Micom-Interlan and
possibly others are already in the standards process with 802.  It's
anybody's guess how long it will take to have a standard, but it seems
that some of these vendors are confident they know what the technical
specs will be.
	I am looking forward to getting this stuff and running all my
Ethernet workstations on it (when the price is right).
     Kent W. England                      |       Boston University
     Network & Systems Engineering Group  |       Information Technology
     kwe@bu-it.bu.edu        internet     |       111 Cummington Street
     itkwe@bostonu           BITnet       |       Boston, MA      02215
     harvard!bu-cs!kwe       UUCP         |       (617) 353-2780