[comp.dcom.lans] Bridge Communications X.25 gateway

mechgam@tness1.UUCP (Gary Mink 713+521-6958) (12/04/87)

A strange thing happens whenever we use our Bridge Communications
GS/1 X.25 Gateway to connect to various hosts.  Our Enter Control
Mode (ECM) character gets changed from "^^" to "^P".  The ECM
character is used to temporarily place control back at the users LAN
prompt.  In other words, it gives you your LAN prompt back after
connecting to a host.  Our GS/1 is connected via 56Kb circuit to a
Tymnet Packet Engine.  What could be causing our ECM character to
change.

Thanks

Gary A. Mink
Southwestern Bell Telephone
(713) 521-6958
tness1!mechgam
--
Gary A. Mink
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (12/07/87)

In article <317@tness1.UUCP>, mechgam@tness1.UUCP (Gary Mink 713+521-6958) writes:
> A strange thing happens whenever we use our Bridge Communications
> GS/1 X.25 Gateway to connect to various hosts.  Our Enter Control
> Mode (ECM) character gets changed from "^^" to "^P".

This happened to us too.  We were having other problems too, so we had
bridge come out with a monitor.  It turns out that the other side (a
Multics host in this case) was telling the Bridge box to reset.  It
was also resetting a number of other parameters.

We never did fix the problem, just accepted it.  The Multics host gets
shut down in about a week.
--
---------------------------------
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus

haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) (01/21/88)

In article <317@tness1.UUCP>, mechgam@tness1.UUCP (Gary Mink 713+521-6958) writes:

> A strange thing happens whenever we use our Bridge Communications
> GS/1 X.25 Gateway to connect to various hosts.  Our Enter Control
> Mode (ECM) character gets changed from "^^" to "^P".

When you make a virtual terminal (X.29 protocol) connection to a host
interfaced via X.25, it is pretty normal for that host to send back an
X.29 Set PAD Parameters message.  "^P" is the normal value of the PAD
Recall character (X.3 parameter 1), so I suspect that is what's happening.

Cheers  -- Walt Haas    ARPA: haas@cs.utah.edu    UUCP: ...utah-cs!haas