[comp.dcom.lans] Multi-mode or single-mode fiber -- which is best for FDDI?

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (01/24/88)

We are going to be installing a fiber optic backbone, initially
running Ethernet, but we want to migrate to FDDI as the standard
is cured.

Does a choice of multi-mode or single-mode fiber make a difference
as far as FDDI?  In not, which is best for a lan (i.e., which
will be the most popular, easy to buy hardware for, etc.)?  From
what I read, most phone companies use mainly single mode for
trunk lines (T4 and all that...).

I understand that single-mode fiber requires a laser light source
(although this may be changing), but multi-mode only requires the
cheaper LED light source.

A clarification will be most appreciated.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (01/26/88)

In article <1573@aecom.YU.EDU> naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
>Does a choice of multi-mode or single-mode fiber make a difference
>as far as FDDI?
I think the emerging FDDI spec allows for several options in selection
of fiber type.
> In not, which is best for a lan (i.e., which
>will be the most popular, easy to buy hardware for, etc.)?
I think single mode fiber is impractical for LANs.
Connectorizing single mode fiber requires a portable lab in a truck.
Multimode fiber connectorizing and splicing can now be done out of a
kit by a meticulous technician, such as a broadband tech.
Single mode requires a laser, multimode can use LEDs.
The FDDI ring will be limited to 23 km or less.  This is very
practical for multimode and large campuses.  Single mode not required.
AT&T seems to be dominating the multimode arena.  They go with 62.5
micron fiber.  I would recommend that diameter.  Then your fiber could
also be used for telephone multiplexers.
A big design decision is star vs ring.  FDDI is logical ring, but you
can install it physically as a star or ring.  Design for expansion and
know the FDDI limits, which I think are 23 km.  [Correct me, but don't
flame me, please.]
I haven't yet decided whether to stay with AT&T standard SMA
connectors or use ST connectors.  The screw on SMAs are very difficult
to patch and repatch.  Perhaps the mini bayonet STs are better.  Comment?
Boston University has installed a 62.5 u physical ring running Pronet
80.  We connectorize and maintain the network ourselves.
     Kent W. England                      |       Boston University
     Network & Systems Engineering Group  |       Information Technology
     kwe@bu-it.bu.edu        internet     |       111 Cummington Street
     itkwe@bostonu           BITnet       |       Boston, MA      02215
     harvard!bu-cs!kwe       UUCP         |       (617) 353-2780

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (01/28/88)

The ST connectors are the new AT&T ones.  The SMA's are what nearly
every piece of fiber equipment currently uses.   Of course, the old
AT&T biconical connectors while theoretically a lot better, were
pretty annoying because NOBODY sold them other than AT&T (and even
AT&T sometimes denied knowledge of them).

-Ron