[comp.dcom.lans] TCP/Novell gateway

hoisve@utah-cs.UUCP (David T Hoisve) (01/21/88)

We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
TCP/IP Ethernet.

One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
the Ethernet.

I would greatly appreciate information on any current or planned
development efforts in this area.

Thanks,

Dave Hoisve.
University of Utah Computer Center

HOISVE@CC.UTAH.EDU
HOISVE@UTAHCCA.BITNET
{ihnp4,hplabs,decvax}!utah-cs!hoisve

amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Neta Amit) (01/26/88)

> We are very interested in gatewaying our Novell PC networks to a
> TCP/IP Ethernet.
>
> One unique approach to this problem would be using a PC as a
> level-3 gateway between the Novell IPX net and the IP Ethernet.
> Client programs (such as NCSA telnet, Phil Karn's NET package, X
> windows programs, etc.) would be modified to encapsulate the IP
> packets in IPX packets.  The gateway would catch the IPX packets
> from the clients, strip the IPX headers, and send them out over
> the Ethernet.

Speaking of which: we've been engaged in a similar project to gateway
between a IBM PC-LAN network (in fact: any NetBIOS-based LAN) and the
Internet. One of the PC's serves as a gateway, and contains cards for
both networks. The rest are connected just to the PC-LAN.

The first version supported Mail services, and was implemented
by mapping SMTP to the PC-LAN equivalent. It has been operational
for about a year. In the second version, currently under construction,
IP packets are encapsulated by the local packets. SMTP, FTP and
Telnet will be supported.

Our goal is to build a full-service facility, including most servers.
For example, the Mail server and client are not dependent on external
facilities (hosts, protocols); the mail server is (almost) running as
a TSR, along with PC-LAN Program and DOS.

Like many others, we base our code on MIT's/CMU's Pcip package -- with
substantial mods. Two questions to Netlanders:
- where can we find pcip-FTP sources? Our outdated version doesn't
  include it.
- 3Com's Etherlink card is expensive and slow -- but supported by pcip.
  We'd like to hear about availability of drivers for more modern cards,
  particulary WD. Alternatively, we're thinking about modifying one of the
  existing public domain drivers. It doesn't look too bad; is it ?

TIA,

--
  Neta Amit
  U of Minnesota CSci

bertrand@cui.UUCP (IBRAHIM Bertrand) (01/29/88)

Novell is marketing such a product. Even though there seems to be an
implantation running under Netware 286 v2.0a, the only commercially available
implementation seems to be running under SFT Netware 286 v2.1 (Part No
02-005-01).
The physical link is on the server and enables up to 16 workstations to
connect simultaneously to the TCP world. The kit includes an NP600A Ethernet
controller, the gateway software and the documentation. There is also a short
pamphlet describing the Netware TCP/IP option (document 420-010270-001 June 87).
I haven't got any chance yet to try this gateway, so I cannot give any
information on speed or reliability.

Another commercial source is ISOLAN (BICC data networks). They sell an ISOLAN
multi-protocol IEEE 802.3 ethernet support for the PC. It allows you to connect
your PC to a Novell server and to the TCP world simultaneously. This is not a
real gateway (as far as I can tell). The ISOLAN controller with multi-protocol
handler sofware is Part No 4113-0, the Novell drivers are Part No 4116-x
(x depends on what version of Netware your server is running).

Hope this helps,

Bertrand Ibrahim.

( usual disclaimer: ... :-)

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (01/29/88)

In article <3695@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>Like many others, we base our code on MIT's/CMU's Pcip package -- with
>substantial mods. Two questions to Netlanders:
>- where can we find pcip-FTP sources? Our outdated version doesn't
>  include it.

FTP was never included as a part of either the MIT or CMU PC/IP. There
haven't been any major changes to the public domain code for several
years. The last major changes that I can remember were SLIP being added to
the CMU release, and I can't even remember if that really happened or if
my memory is playing tricks on me.

Stanford and the commercial sellers of PC/IP-based software (FTP Software,
Wollongong, IBM) have added FTP to PC/IP.

>- 3Com's Etherlink card is expensive and slow -- but supported by pcip.
>  We'd like to hear about availability of drivers for more modern cards,
>  particulary WD. Alternatively, we're thinking about modifying one of the
>  existing public domain drivers. It doesn't look too bad; is it ?

Newer cards like the Western Digital WD8003 and Micom-Interlan NI5210
run much faster than the 3C501 *and* tend to be lower priced. It won't
be too easy to modify the old 3C501 driver to work with these cards,
though, as the ethernet controller chips on the cards are completely
different from the 3C501's. I don't know of any public domain drivers,
but often the manufacturers have a simple driver they can supply you
with.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey