[comp.dcom.lans] PC/IP questions

john@bradley.UUCP (01/25/88)

How good is the PC/IP (by MIT/CMU) implimentation of TCP/IP for PC compatibles?
Is it based on 4.2 Networking code?  What services does it provide?
Also what hardware does it support.

Thanks in advance
John Lengeling			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,uiucdcs,noao}!bradley!john
Bradley University		ARPA: cepu!bradley!john@seas.ucla.edu
Text Processing 		ATTMAIL: attmail!bradley!john
Bradley Hall Room 6F            PHONE: (309) 677-2230
Peoria, IL 61625

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (01/30/88)

In article <8500002@bradley> john@bradley.UUCP writes:
>How good is the PC/IP (by MIT/CMU) implimentation of TCP/IP for PC compatibles?
>Is it based on 4.2 Networking code?  What services does it provide?
>Also what hardware does it support.

I will defer on the question of how good it is, since I put a lot of work into
it. Actually, for its time I think it was pretty good, but its time was
four years ago.

PC/IP is not based on the 4BSD TCP. PC/IP is based on a TCP written by
Dave Clark in BCPL for Tripos while visiting the UK, which was later ported
to the Xerox Alto (also BCPL) and then later ported to V6 Unix (now
rewritten in C) and ported again to the PC (to become PC/IP) and rewritten
several times.

It supports Telnet, TFTP and a simple network monitor called
Netwatch. There are a few other useful programs, but it doesn't do
anything like FTP, SMTP or the BSD r-protocols. There are versions of
PC/IP available commercially that do that (try FTP Software, the
Wollongong Group or Bridge). There are also several non-PC/IP
implementations available from other companies (Excelan,
Ungermann-Bass, Sun).

PC/IP supports four network interfaces: the 3COM 3C501, the Micom-Interlan
NI5010, the Proteon P1300 and its own serial line protocol over COM1.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey