[comp.dcom.lans] Thin-wire Ethernet connectors

mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Nora) (02/03/88)

I've found that the twist-on BNC connectors are quick to install - but they
are extremely easy to pull off the cable. I've seen places where users have
moved their workstations from one end of the desk to the other, and the cable
was too short and the connector pulled right off. Soldering is too much of a
pain to even consider that option.

So what we did is invest in *high quality* crimping tools. AMP Industries
manufactures crimp-on connectors and tools for RG-58 cable that once crimped
on will not let go. Two people pulling on the connector and cable cannot
separate them. A cable stripper cuts the cable to the exact requirement of the
connectors, the center pin on the BNC is crimped to the center conductor
and then the rest of the connector is crimped to the cable shield and jacket.
Total time spent on each connection is no more than 1 minute. But remember,
*high quality* = high $$, and the tools are not cheap. If you are having
trouble with connectors coming off, the investment can pay itself off by
saving the hair you'd normally be pulling out.

If anyone is interested in these products, send me e-mail and I'll tell you
who to contact for information.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affliation with AMP Industries, I just think these are
            damn good products, and they work really well.

--
     Michael Nora       | Internet:  mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ...ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!mwn

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (02/04/88)

In article <10549@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>So what we did is invest in *high quality* crimping tools. AMP Industries
>manufactures crimp-on connectors and tools for RG-58 cable that once crimped
>on will not let go. Two people pulling on the connector and cable cannot

I'll second this recommendation. AMP, particularly their crimpers, are
the best stuff I've ever seen. Not cheap but if your volume is high,
very cost effective.

I also give high marks to Belden, Cabletron and MOD-TAP for quality.
--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com