[comp.dcom.lans] KIP/CAP and new Kinetics Gateway software - anyone using?

matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) (02/03/88)

I have just reconfigured my Kinetics Fastpath box to allow the new
spooling and remote software from Kinetics, KTALK and KSPOOL, to work.
Unfortunately, the changes in the configuration seem to have kiboshed
my Unix Appleshare server, using the KIP/CAP software.  The problem, I think,
has to do with subnetting somehow, which we are using now and weren't
before.

If anyone out there has any experience with these packages, or is a real
KIP/CAP expert, please either post or e-mail.  I'd be very greatful.

Matthew Lewis

University of Amsterdam

matthew@uvabick.uucp
a717matt@hasara5.bitnet

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (02/04/88)

In article <230@uvabick.UUCP>, matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) writes:
> I have just reconfigured my Kinetics Fastpath box to allow the new
> spooling and remote software from Kinetics, KTALK and KSPOOL, to work.
> Unfortunately, the changes in the configuration seem to have kiboshed
> my Unix Appleshare server, using the KIP/CAP software.  The problem, I think,
> has to do with subnetting somehow, which we are using now and weren't
> before.
>
> If anyone out there has any experience with these packages, or is a real
> KIP/CAP expert, please either post or e-mail.  I'd be very greatful.

What a coincidence.  Just this afternoon, I was on the phone with
the K-Spool expert at Kinetics, Elaine Hideshema (sp?).  We've been using
K-Spool and NCSA-Telnet with Kinetics' Ethertalk gateway software.

We want to run CAP, so I loaded KIP into the FastPath and K-Spool won't work.

Elaine said that K-Spool will not run under the KIP code and they have no
plans to modify K-Spool so that it will.

From what I've been told (and what's in the documentation), CAP will support
postscript laser printers on appletalk just as K-Spool does.

So answer this question:
	Why did we spend $500 on K-Spool???

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

P.S.  I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who was able
to get the functions USEQUOTA and USESTATFS running in CAP/AUFS on a Sun 3/50
under SunOS 3.4 or greater.  We're having some problems with this.

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (02/09/88)

>In article <230@uvabick.UUCP>, matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) writes:
>> I have just reconfigured my Kinetics Fastpath box to allow the new
>> spooling and remote software from Kinetics, KTALK and KSPOOL, to work.
>From what I've been told (and what's in the documentation), CAP will support
>postscript laser printers on appletalk just as K-Spool does.
I think that this stuff belongs in comp.protocols.appletalk
Perhaps comp.protocols.appletalk should be renamed
comp.dcom.lans.protocols.appletalk or something similar to prevent this
sort of confusion.

>P.S.  I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who was able
>to get the functions USEQUOTA and USESTATFS running in CAP/AUFS on a Sun 3/50
>under SunOS 3.4 or greater.  We're having some problems with this.
Avoid SunOS 3.4 - the networking code doesn't interoperate (ie fails) in
mysterious ways. Get SunOS release 3.5, which should be avaiable now.
Quotas and such don't always work as you'd expect with NFS-mounted file
systems.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}