[comp.dcom.lans] ?srevreS lanimreT

german@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (02/28/88)

Has anyone used a terminal server to front end a non-networking host?  I
would like to know which servers can be used in this fasion and any problems
to be aware of.  I would like to be able to configure it such that we
could telnet/rlogin to one address and be connected to the next available
port rather than having to try a set of addresses.  Thanks in advance,

         Greg German (german@uxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU) (217-333-8293)
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
Office:  181 Digital Computer Lab.

latzko@athos.rutgers.edu (Alex ) (03/02/88)

In article <172100003@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> german@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Has anyone used a terminal server to front end a non-networking host?  I
>         Greg German (german@uxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU) (217-333-8293)

Yes, you can use a terminal server to front for a non-networking host!
The general term for this type of device is a "milking machine". As
far as I know the two best servers for this type of function are the
cisco and bridge products.  Which is a better device for you depends
on the size of your general networking problem, although, I prefer cisco.

Both are able to set up a rotary to alias an ethernet address to a
group of ports.

cisco: 1 415 326 1941
bridge:1 415 969 4400

have fun.......