[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet protocol codes

brown@noao.arizona.edu (Mike Brown) (02/15/88)

I need a cross reference of ethernet protocol identifiers.
A listing of codes and the corresponding symbolic name would be
sufficient.  I'm trying to track down some strange stuff on a large
LAN.

I remember a couple of requests for this information some time ago
but I did not save the articles.

Please reply via mail.  I will post a summary in a week or so.

	Regards,
	Mike Brown

internet:	brown@noao.arizona.edu
uucp:		{uunet,..}!wucs1!brown	or	...!noao!brown

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (02/17/88)

We keep this table on-line for use in the documentation of our network
monitoring software.  We started with the last version of the assigned
numbers RFC and added things as we came across them.  If this table is
missing anything, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software, Inc.
	... harvard!spdcc!ftp!nancy
	nancy@vax.ftp.com

Ethernet protocol types

The Ethernet TYPE field contains a hexadecimal number which can be
interpreted to yield a symbolic Ethernet protocol type name.  A table of some
of the major Ethernet protocol types and their descriptions follows:

Hexadecimal	Description

0x0200		Xerox PUP
0x0201		PUP Address Trans.
0x0600		Xerox XNS IDP
0x0800		DoD IP
0x0801		X.75 Internet
0x0802		NBS Internet
0x0803		ECMA Internet
0x0804		Chaosnet
0x0805		X.25 Level 3
0x0806		ARP
0x0807		XNS Compatability
0x081C		Symbolics Private
0x1000		Berkeley trailer
0x1001		IP_trailer_1_block
0x1002		IP_trailer_2_blocks
0x1003		IP_trailer_3_blocks
0x1004		IP_trailer_4_blocks
0x1005		IP_trailer_5_blocks
0x1006		IP_trailer_6_blocks
0x1007		IP_trailer_7_blocks
0x1008		IP_trailer_8_blocks
0x1009		IP_trailer_9_blocks
0x100a		IP_trailer_10_blocks
0x100b		IP_trailer_11_blocks
0x100c		IP_trailer_12_blocks
0x100d		IP_trailer_13_blocks
0x100e		IP_trailer_14_blocks
0x100f		IP_trailer_15_blocks
0x1600		VALID
0x5208		BBN Simnet
0x6000		DECNet0
0x6001		DEC MOP Dump/Load
0x6002		DEC MOP Remote Console
0x6003		DEC DECnet Routing
0x6004		DEC LAT
0x6005		DEC DECNet Diagnostics
0x6006		DEC DECNet SCA
0x6007		DEC DECNet7
0x8003		Cronus VLN
0x8004		Cronus Direct
0x8005		HP Probe
0x8006		Nestar
0x8010		Excelan
0x8035		Reverse ARP
0x8038		DEC LANBridge
0x805b		Stanford V Kernel experimental
0x805c		Stanford V Kernel production
0x807c		Merit Internodal
0x8080		VitaLink bridge
0x809b		Appletalk
0x9000		Loopback
0x9001		Bridge bridge
0x9002		Bridge terminal
0xff00		BBN VITAL LANBridge

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (03/01/88)

Thanks to everyone who sent me updates for the Ethernet protocol code
table.  If there is enough interest, I can post my revised version of
the table.  Anyone who missed the posting can get the current version
via anonymous FTP to vax.ftp.com.  The file is called ether-prot.h.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software, Inc.
	nancy@vax.ftp.com
	... harvard!spdcc!ftp!nancy

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (03/01/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.2 of Thu Aug 13 1987 on ftp (berkeley-unix)

To all those who informed me that the protections on ether-prot.h were
set wrong, thanks for letting me know about the problem.  I've changed
the protections so that it's publicly readable now.  My apologies to
anyone who was affected by this problem.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software, Inc.
	nancy@vax.ftp.com
	... harvard!spdcc!ftp!nancy

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (03/04/88)

In article <110@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>Thanks to everyone who sent me updates for the Ethernet protocol code
>table.  If there is enough interest, I can post my revised version of
>the table.

I would like to see it posted: we do not have anonymous FTP access
across to the US of A.

One thing which worried me was that we wanted a set of types for our
own internal use. We chose the 5000 to 52ff range: FTP's list shows that
one of these is apparently spoken for. Does anyone know if there is a
range reserved for local use?

On the same subject, I always encourage people to use multicast addresses,
not the broadcast address. Who hands out multicast addresses, what are the
currently assigned ones and what are the variable fields in those that
are assigned (e.g. the LAVC cluster number used by DEC)? Is much the same
problem when we are writing our own software packages. Clearly, I know a
few already in use.
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp