[comp.dcom.lans] Starlan Monitor Wanted

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (03/03/88)

I'm installing AT&T personal computer systems (6300, 6300PLUS,
and 6310) connected by Starlan, and running MS-DOS.  To help
me verify that my networks are optimally tuned, and that my
applications are using the networks correctly, I'd really like
to know what's going on on the net.

I've heard of test equipment that monitors a lan and records or
displays the traffic, and performs analysis, etc.  They tend to
be rather expensive, given that I'll probably only need it once.

I can probably monitor the net from one of the workstations, using
the Starlan board already provided, and some software that listens
and records what it hears without transmitting.  Does anyone know
of any software for this purpose?  Does anyone have any suggestions
on this?  Am I crazy to even think of doing such a thing?  Is it
worth the effort?

Thanks
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (03/11/88)

In article <120@westmark.UUCP>, dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
> ... connected by Starlan, and running MS-DOS. ...
> I've heard of test equipment that monitors a lan and records or
> displays the traffic, and performs analysis, etc.  They tend to
> be rather expensive, given that I'll probably only need it once.

	I am using Starlan quite extensively, and had the same
intrest some months back.  Being a member of TCA [Telecommunications
Association] I ravaged the convention looking for someone who
was selling a starlan protocol analizer.  The most positive
response I got is "We are planning to develop one for the faster
implementation [due in june] when it comes out."

> I can probably monitor the net from one of the workstations, using
> the Starlan board already provided, and some software that listens
> and records what it hears without transmitting.  Does anyone know
> of any software for this purpose?  Does anyone have any suggestions
> on this?  Am I crazy to even think of doing such a thing?  Is it
> worth the effort?

I never found any software which could monitor the network reasonably.
It would seem doable, byt I don't think anybody has bothered to try
it.  I think you will find that the network is very binary, that is
it either all works, or none of it does.  The only problem I have
had to date happened when someone went and re-aranged one of our
labs.  The plugged a long "leash to nowhere" into the system which
scrabled everything.  [Long wires act like an antena sometimes, which
can introduce unaccptable noise on the LAN making it look "always
busy"]  Other than this catstrophic type of failure I havn't had
any problems, and a protocol analizer wouldn't have helped at all.

Working with Starlan, the most useful accessory is a map of the
physical routing.  The second most useful accessory is a server
implemented under UNIX, as you can often find things out from
the unix behavior, while the MS-DOS systems mostly go " 't don
work.. " which is of little help.

Durring instalation "netstat /name=<remote name> /cont" will be
your best friend.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<  All the STREAM is but a page,<<|>>	Robert C. White Jr.		   <<
<<  and we are merely layers,	 <<|>>	nusdhub!rwhite  nusdhub!usenet	   <<
<<  port owners and port payers, <<|>>>>>>>>"The Avitar of Chaos"<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<  each an others audit fence,	 <<|>>	Network tech,  Gamer, Anti-christ, <<
<<  approaching the sum reel.	 <<|>>	Voter, and General bad influence.  <<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
##  Disclaimer:  You thought I was serious???......  Really????		   ##
##  Interogative:  So... what _is_ your point?			    ;-)	   ##
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ninja@bradley.UUCP (03/16/88)

You might want to give Vartech, Inc. a call.  They have something called
a "Performance Monitoring Tool" (or similar name) that gives a very
accurate picture of what's going on on the StarLAN.  I've only seen it
on Unix boxes but I think it's a good bet that they have a DOS version
too.  It's not a protocol analyzer, but I think it would be very usefull for
anyone with medium to large StarLAN applications.  If we had the $$
I would love to have it, but our application size doesn't justify it.

Frank McGee
Bradley University
ihnp4!bradley!ninja

Vartech :