[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet Error Rate

dorl@vms3.macc.wisc.edu (Michael (NMI) Dorl) (03/08/88)

What is the expected error rate for a large Ethernet?  I'd like
to know what fraction of the packets could be expected to have
some error such as checksum, short packet, long packet.

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (03/12/88)

Ethernet error rates, in terms of CRC, framing, etc., are generally
very low.  On some of our very heavily loaded networks (lots of
diskless Suns) our cisco gateways (Interlan Multibus controllers) and
a Sun 4 (Sun's own controller, but note that both the Interlan and Sun
controller use the Intel Ethernet chip, so you'd expect their
low-level Ethernet handling to be similar) see input errors at the
rate of about 3 per million.  Output errors are a bit more common, but
an output error probably isn't an error of the sort you meant.  On our
network it most typically means that the system had to try more than N
times to get a packet out onto the network, because it was jammed.  I
see these only on networks with high collision rates, and even there
the largest number I see is around 1 in 10,000 packets.  This is on a
network with an average 10% collision rate, which indicates that it is
far too heavily loaded.  (We're in the process of splitting it into
multiple Ethernets.)  Note by the way that collisions are not errors.
They are a normal part of the operation of the Ethernet protocol.
Collision rates of a percent or so are perfectly normal.  However our
10% figure indicates that our network is too heavily loaded.

mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (03/18/88)

In article <66@dogie.edu> dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael (NMI) Dorl) writes:
>What is the expected error rate for a large Ethernet?  I'd like
>to know what fraction of the packets could be expected to have
>some error such as checksum, short packet, long packet.

We have a DEC LANBridge100 separating two fairly busy halves of an
Ethernet.  One feature of this device (no, this is not a plug) is that
it keeps statistics, which one can retrieve with the right magic.
I've enclosed a statistics report taken this morning.

As far as I know, our Ethernet and associated attachments
are within spec and well-maintained, so I'm not surprised that the
error rate is fairly low.

Some interpretation: if "Bridge seconds" is really the number of
seconds since the bridge was started, then this one has been running
for 230 days (this is not a plug, either).  It looks like about 1
out of every 42000 packets is bad on one side, and 1 out of every
5000 packets is bad on the other side; I don't know if collisions are
counted as "Bad frames" or not, and it's possible that most of the
bad packets were generated in brief bursts of network sickness.

-Jeff
Line counters for Line 1  as of   17-MAR-1988 10:47:25
Bridge   SSQ1,   Address   08-00-2B-04-66-1B

Bridge seconds:                             19909393
Invalid protocol messages:                         0
Filtered frames:                          2952389947
Bad frames:                                   583994
Lifetime exceeded frames:                        744
No forwarding entry frames:                        0
Forwarding transition count:                       1
Collision Presence Test errors:                    0

                            Transmitted                        Received

Frames:                      1057044284                      4035950595
Bridge frames:                 19948975                              11
Frames lost:                          0                           70118

Line counters for Line 2  as of   17-MAR-1988 10:47:26
Bridge   SSQ1,   Address   08-00-2B-04-66-1B

Bridge seconds:                             19909393
Invalid protocol messages:                         0
Filtered frames:                          4195296973
Bad frames:                                   106159
Lifetime exceeded frames:                      10789
No forwarding entry frames:                        0
Forwarding transition count:                       1
Collision Presence Test errors:                    0

                            Transmitted                        Received

Frames:                      1093867616                      1008319522
Bridge frames:                 19948987                              15
Frames lost:                          0                             515