[comp.dcom.lans] ARP hardware field

doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) (03/10/88)

What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
hardware they correspond to?

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/11/88)

In article <117@wbcs.UUCP> doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) writes:
>What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
>represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
>that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
>hardware they correspond to?

Check the most recent version of the Assigned Numbers RFC (1010, I think).
And the winner is...3Mb/sec ethernet...
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) (03/14/88)

In article <117@wbcs.UUCP> doug@wbcs.UUCP (Doug Kratky) writes:
>What does a 2 value in the hardware field of ARP (ar_hrd)
>represent? Does anyone have a list of the different values
>that are valid for the hardware field and the types of
>hardware they correspond to?
	The following is extracted from rfc1010:
                 ADDRESS RESOLUTION PROTOCOL PARAMETERS

   The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) specified in RFC 826 [64] has
   several parameters.  The assigned values for these parameters are
   listed here.

   Assignments:

      Operation Code (op)

         1   REQUEST
         2   REPLY

      Hardware Type (hrd)

         Type   Description                                   References
         ----   -----------                                   ----------
           1    Ethernet (10Mb)                                    [JBP]
           2    Experimental Ethernet (3Mb)                        [JBP]
           3    Amateur Radio AX.25                                [PXK]
           4    Proteon ProNET Token Ring                          [JBP]
           5    Chaos                                              [GXP]
           6    IEEE 802 Networks                                  [JBP]
           7    ARCNET                                             [JBP]

      Protocol Type (pro)

         Use the same codes as listed in the section called "Ethernet
         Numbers of Interest" (all hardware types use this code set for
         the protocol type).

--
Michael A. Thompson, Dept. Math, Stats, & C.S., Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S.
thompson@dalcs.uucp	From Bitnet or Uucp

nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) (03/16/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.2 of Thu Aug 13 1987 on ftp (berkeley-unix)

Michael Thompson writes:

      Protocol Type (pro)

         Use the same codes as listed in the section called "Ethernet
         Numbers of Interest" (all hardware types use this code set for
         the protocol type).

I don't believe that this is true.  I know that Proteon uses a
different set of codes from the Ethernet list I sent out a while ago.

	-Nancy Connor
	FTP Software
	... !harvard!spdcc!ftp!nancy
	nancy@ftp.com

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (Michael A. Thompson) (03/22/88)

In article <135@ftp.COM> nancy@ftp.COM (Nancy Connor) writes:
>I don't believe that this is true.  I know that Proteon uses a
>different set of codes from the Ethernet list I sent out a while ago.

	Does this make Proteon non-standard? I was quoting from rfc1010, and I
must admit some confusion over the status of rfc's, I know that rfc stands for
Request For Comment, but everyone seems to treat them as standards, so what
are they? Standards or Drafts of proposed standards, and if they are drafts
what are the final standards (if any exist) called?