[comp.dcom.lans] Security on ethernet, recent LAN mag article

howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) (03/24/88)

  Did anyone read the recent LAN magazine article on ethernet security?
I am sure some did. The article addressed the use of an ethernet monitor
to spy on an ethernet to obtain passwords, look at data, and have fun in
general. This seems to me to be a very severe problem. With the example
given, there appears to be no way, other than encryption, to prevent
this type of problem.

  Does anyone have any ideas of how to deal with this? Is encryption
the only answer, ($$$)? Anyone have any reason to believe than their
networks are being spied on?

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (03/24/88)

In article <4805@ecsvax.UUCP> howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) writes:

>  Did anyone read the recent LAN magazine article on ethernet security?
>I am sure some did. The article addressed the use of an ethernet monitor
>to spy on an ethernet to obtain passwords, look at data, and have fun in
>general.

Here at UNM we had to resort to this to aid us in "tracing" a user that
was breaking into accounts.  We had our program trigger whenever
the account name (being broken into) was seen on the net.  It then
latched onto the connection that it saw this "key" on.  From that moment
till the intruder logged off we had a "script" of both directions of their
conversation.  This allowed us to see exactly what the intruder was doing
to our systems and how they were trying to break in (allowing us to
fix any UN*X security problems we had unintentionally left open.)

Unfortunately, this program could just as easily watch for "keys" such
as "password", "su", "login", etc (we have done this to try to show
the higher ups here at UNM how insecure the net is -- we got
over 200 passwords in a couple hour period).

>This seems to me to be a very severe problem. With the example
>given, there appears to be no way, other than encryption, to prevent
>this type of problem.
>
>  Does anyone have any ideas of how to deal with this? Is encryption
>the only answer, ($$$)?

No encryption is not the only answer.  Dollars, though, can really help.
Some other possible solutions are:
	1) keep PC's OFF off of your cable so that they can't "watch"
	   your traffic
	2) restrict who has root on your systems (so they can't run
	   these 'spy' programs on them)
	3) Restrict physical access to the cable
		- put in conduit (preferablly pressurized thought this
		  can be gotten around quite easily)
	4) use fiber optics.  This is a little harder for a person to
	   tap, though it is still possible
	5) Watch when people use their accounts.  You will notice right
	   away when a secretarial account is being used at "odd" hours
	   of the night.  Doing this will give you some idea of which
	   accounts have be compromised.
	6) force people to change their passwords often (once a month for
	   example) so that if someone does gain unauthorized access to
	   the cable, the passwords they see won't do them much good

These are just a few steps you can take to keep people from "watching"
the net.  If they start to put data out on the net, then watch out
because they can change machines arp tables so that packets are forced
to the other sides of certain ethernet bridges (DEC DEBIT for example),
send icmp redirects so that packets are forced to the other sides of
gateways, step into a conversation (say of someone with root) and
take over the connection, etc.

To protect against an unauthorized person actively putting things on
the net, an authentication routine should be used (such as Kerbose (sp?)
from MIT -- I don't know much about the whats/hows/etc though) that
"notices" any strangness it sees on the net.

>Anyone have any reason to believe than their
>networks are being spied on?

Yes.  I am watching (I don't like the word 'spy') our network.  I
am performing some statistical analysis.  Not all "spying", as you
put it, is bad.  Some is a necessary eval.

--
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
 @/_________@/        cyrus@hc.dspo.gov

mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (03/24/88)

In article <4805@ecsvax.UUCP> howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) writes:

>  Did anyone read the recent LAN magazine article on ethernet security?
>I am sure some did. The article addressed the use of an ethernet monitor
>to spy on an ethernet to obtain passwords, look at data, and have fun in
>general. [...]

	Don't forget the venerable IBM PC with the ethernet card in it.
In fact, any system that does not have some form of reasonable security
to prevent a user from changing its name, in the case of a trusted host,
or sending hand-made packets out on the net (which the PC can do, if you
care to). I believe there is even TCP monitoring software available for
the PCs.
	This is in issue in my mind, since I know of at least one site
that has PCs on the net, as well as confidential and highly sensitive
data.

--mjr();
...ich bin in einem dusenjet ins jahr 53 vor chr...ich lande im antiken Rom...
                     einige gladiatoren spielen scrabble...ich rieche PIZZA...

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (03/25/88)

In article <4805@ecsvax.UUCP> howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) writes:

>  Did anyone read the recent LAN magazine article on ethernet security?
>I am sure some did. The article addressed the use of an ethernet monitor
>to spy on an ethernet to obtain passwords, look at data, and have fun in
>general. This seems to me to be a very severe problem. With the example
>given, there appears to be no way, other than encryption, to prevent
>this type of problem.
>
>  Does anyone have any ideas of how to deal with this? Is encryption
>the only answer, ($$$)? Anyone have any reason to believe than their
>networks are being spied on?

Back in July of last year there was a great discussion of LAN security
on the BIG-LAN BITnet list.  I saved it in an archive.  It started
with a question of security when academic and administrative users are
on the same LANs.  How does one protect sensitive administrative data
and systems from those impish academic hackers?

Not much was said about physical security, except that some can't
control physical access and some demand physical security, like
network closets and conduits, as part of their standard cable
distribution.  Of course, physical security helps protect against
accidents as well as malicious abuse.

One solution:  use bridges to isolate traffic and cut down on what a
snooper could see.  A follow-on to that would be to use a subnetted
internet with routers instead of bridges.  Various people commented
about security holes in both approaches, although the consensus was
that this was a most significant means of enhancing security.

Another solution:  Run parallel LANs and segregate the academic and
admin machines and users (David Wasley @ UC Berkeley and John Wobus @
Syracuse U)

Another solution:  encrypt sensitive data and transfers.  [vendors
have since come out with hardware to support link level encryption on
LANs, Bridge and U-B come to mind.]

I said something about the threat of snoopers not being serious and
Philip Prindeville from MIT posted a simple explanation of a $1.98
snooper package and opened my eyes to the ease of snooping.
Quote:
A year and a half ago, at my previous employer, we put a $900 PC
with a $300 ethernet card and some public domain software on our
ethernet.  We set up the monitor to log any TCP packets on port 25.
That afternoon, all the mail that had been sent was pinned to a
bulletin board next to the conference room.

Security took on a new sense of urgency...
EOQ  A very funny article but quite serious and instructive

transactions MAR@ATHENA.MIT.EDU posted a notice of the MIT project
Athena Kerberos authentication system.  Kerberos, which is slated to
be publicly released, provides for secure access control, including
logon transactions.

	The short and simple answer is: segment and/or segregate and
implement some kind of encryption [total or Kerberos(like)].

	Kent England
	Boston University

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/25/88)

Better than that, someone wrote a program for a sun that
allows you to evesdrop on complete TCP connections (provided
that the net is lightly loaded enough).  Ethernets are not
secure.  Neither are your RS-232 lines.  We used to tap terminal
lines quite a bit (it's a lot easier than ethernet).

-Ron

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/25/88)

In article <20906@bu-cs.BU.EDU> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>I said something about the threat of snoopers not being serious and
>Philip Prindeville from MIT posted a simple explanation of a $1.98
>snooper package and opened my eyes to the ease of snooping.

While the software is from MIT, Philip is not. The software is a
program called netwatch that I wrote as a part of the public domain
PC/IP. There are also commercial versions of it available now. It's
really intended for protocol and network debugging, but if you're
bored, yes, it does a fine job of catching data and passwords.
It actually costs about $15 from MIT.

You can buy more sophisticated programs like this from FTP Software,
Network General, Excelan, Hewlett-Packard and Network Research
Corporation. I think that there's similar software for Sun
workstations, too.

>transactions MAR@ATHENA.MIT.EDU posted a notice of the MIT project
>Athena Kerberos authentication system.  Kerberos, which is slated to
>be publicly released, provides for secure access control, including
>logon transactions.
>
>	The short and simple answer is: segment and/or segregate and
>implement some kind of encryption [total or Kerberos(like)].

As you said, Kerberos provides secure authentication - you don't end
up sending a password across the net in plaintext, and you can't
spoof it, but it doesn't encrypt any of your data. So with an
ethernet monitor in a Kerberos system you could still pick up lots of
neat data. If someone REALLY wants to get at your data, then they'll
manage to tap your ethernet cable and segregating won't really help.
It will only prevent the casual cracker from breaking security; it
won't help you with truly malicious crackers.

Physical security seems to be necessary to really be as close to 100%
as is possible, especially with UNIX based systems that can easily be
brought up in single user mode as 'root' if you have access to the
physical computer.
--
			- john romkey
		...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (03/28/88)

in article <Mar.24.20.17.27.1988.4240@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) says:
>We used to tap terminal
> lines quite a bit (it's a lot easier than ethernet).

With a box like the H-P 4951 serial protocol analyzer, its embarressingly
trivial. We used to wire up some test clips to an RS-232 connector,
plug that onto the 4951, program the box to look for a particular login,
and from that point on start recording until it filled up its 64KB of
RAM. Then we'd attach the test clips to the requisite pins on the telco
block that was used for direct connect terminal connections. Of course,
you could use a modem and do something similar with real tip and ring
telco connections, as well. It made for an interesting demo.
Fortunately, at the moment our telco splice blocks used for terminal
traffic are either in locked telephone closets or in the computer room.
Unfortunately, this will change as we deploy more terminal servers in
out of the way places.

John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420
UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan          +1-513-259-1384  +1-513-873-2491
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.
--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420
UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan          +1-513-259-1384  +1-513-873-2491
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.

howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) (03/29/88)

  From what I hear there seems to be two basic options in securing an
ethernet packet from the probing eyes of another user on the same
network. The first would be some means of seperation, physical via
completly seperate networks or logically via a bridge, router etc...
  The second would be encryption of data within the packets.

  It seems there are several products out that offer each of these
alternatives. If you go the physically seperate route, then you still
have to figure someway to let the networks communicate, since that was
probably the reason you put the network in to begin with. This could
be done with gateways, but it seems there is still the potential to have
sensitive data in the wrong place at the wrong time.

  The logical seperation with bridges and routers seems to be feasible,
although costly, but the question of being able to ping, probe and
otherwise shoot holes through that scheme is still an issue. There is
still the question of data sensitive data being viewed as it moves from
one network side to the other.

  Encryption looks to me to be the best solution, but it appears most
people are looking at this from a software standpoint. Trying to hide
passwords and such does little good when a patient person can just sit
and wait for what he wants to see go by.

  This is obviously a tough one or it would have been solved by now, I
suppose it is a matter of wait and see what happens. Anyone have any
ideas of the best and CHEAPEST way to handle this problem? Now is your
chance to run out and make a killing in the SECURE THE ETHERNET MARKET!!

Doc (I hope nobody is watching) Howell
At Univ. of N.C. at Wilmington

Add your favorite Quotes, disclaimers etc... HERE __________________!!

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (03/29/88)

In article <Mar.24.20.17.27.1988.4240@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> Better than that, someone wrote a program for a sun that
> allows you to evesdrop on complete TCP connections (provided
> that the net is lightly loaded enough).  Ethernets are not
> secure.  Neither are your RS-232 lines.  We used to tap terminal
> lines quite a bit (it's a lot easier than ethernet).
>
> -Ron

Yes but the significant difference is that the Ethernet cable comes
right to a potentially malicious user's office whereas RS-232 is point
to point.  If you want to tap RS-232 you need to get in close proximity
to the cable (where physical security can protect you), but with Ethernet
the malintent need only obtain the appropriate software.

In short, if you want to be careful, don't use telnet to system
logins (e.g., root) if you don't want your passwords to leak out.
Theft of services (by stealing a user login) is a considerable problem
if your user population can't be trusted.
--
Robert N. Berlinger		    |        /------Preferred-------\
Supervisor of Systems Support	    |Domain: | naftoli@aecom.yu.edu |

>   Does anyone have any ideas of how to deal with this? Is encryption
> the only answer, ($$$)? ...

Encryption is not necessary if your Ethernet meets ALL the following
conditions:

1. Unauthorized connections are not an issue, either because you take
precautions against them (a lot of work) or because you're not worried
about them.  Unauthorized tapping of fiber or thick Ethernet is not a
trivial operation, i.e. casual snoopers are unlikely to bother.  Thin
Ethernet with a connector just sitting there waiting to be plugged in
to is another matter.

2. All authorized connections go to machines whose physical security
is not an issue, again either because you take precautions or because
you're not worried.  The ability to reboot a machine often constitutes
complete control over its software.

3. All authorized connections go to machines which either (a) cannot be
used by untrusted users, or (b) are controlled by software that enforces
appropriate restrictions on network access by users.  Unix can do okay
in this area if you pay attention to it.  MSDOS is inherently incapable
of enforcing security.

If your network does not meet all three of these conditions, it cannot be
secure without carefully-designed encryption.  "Carefully-designed" means,
in particular, that the procedures for setting up an encrypted connection
must be planned with problems like "active wiretapping" [bad guys injecting
false messages to try to capture the connection] in mind.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

>	6) force people to change their passwords often (once a month for
>	   example) so that if someone does gain unauthorized access to
>	   the cable, the passwords they see won't do them much good

This has a high probability of being counterproductive; the usual result
is stupidly-chosen passwords, alternation between two passwords, passwords
that are minor variations on each other, etc.
--

ejnorman@dogie.edu (Eric Norman) (03/31/88)

In article <4826@ecsvax.UUCP> howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) writes:
>   From what I hear there seems to be two basic options in securing an
> ethernet packet from the probing eyes of another user on the same

The Berkeley .rhosts scheme does avoid sending passwords (either
cleartext or encrypted) across the network, you know.  That stops
the voyeurs with LAN monitors.  Sure its security can be defeated by
sloppy use, but that's true of anything else.

> network. The first would be some means of seperation, physical via
> completly seperate networks or logically via a bridge, router etc...

Some degree of logically physical separation can be easily achieved
by merely wiring in the mapping that bridges do from Ethernet address
to bridge side.  This makes being an imposter from the other side
of a bridge very difficult (as if it isn't already).

> suppose it is a matter of wait and see what happens. Anyone have any
> ideas of the best and CHEAPEST way to handle this problem? Now is your

Sure, in order for there to be a crime, you need (1) motive, (2) opportunity,
and (3) means.  All the suggested methods attempt to eliminate either means
or opportunity.  Why not just eliminate the motive?  How?  Well, maybe that's
a toughie, then again, maybe nobody's thought about it much.  You could
always believe that paranoia is an infectious and self-extinguishing disease.

Eric Norman
Internet:     ejnorman@unix2.macc.wisc.edu
UUCP:         ...!uwvax!ejnorman
Life:         Detroit!Alexandria!Omaha!Indianapolis!Madison!Hyde

"I really had to act; 'cause I didn't have any lines."
		-- Marilyn Chambers
--

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/01/88)

In article <4826@ecsvax.UUCP> howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) writes:
> [in reference to physical/segmented security versus encryption]
>  Encryption looks to me to be the best solution, but it appears most
>people are looking at this from a software standpoint. Trying to hide
>passwords and such does little good when a patient person can just sit
>and wait for what he wants to see go by.
>
>  This is obviously a tough one or it would have been solved by now, I
>suppose it is a matter of wait and see what happens.

I think hardware is the only way to encrypt entire sessions (versus
encryption of transactions like login).  But wait:

In article  <525@cunixc.columbia.edu> alan@cunixc.columbia.edu (Alan
Crosswell) writes:

> DEC has very recently announced what I believe to be a LAN-bridge like
> box combined with a VMS-based key server.  It use a hardware DES
> implementation and is supposed to encrypt data at the packet level in
> one box and decrypt it at the other (totally transparent to the
> hosts).  It will also allow clear text passthru when one host sits
> behind a decrypter but the other doesn't so you can add these things
> to an existing ethernet, protecting the "important" hosts ("important"
> meaning how much money you want to spend) while still allowing access
> for others.  It's supposed to have all kinds of configuration stuff
> too so you can decide who can talk to whom.

	Okay, so how will this hardware based solution work?  Sounds
like the DEC box will encrypt packets on an individual host basis.
Will it also encrypt at the session level?  Will you have a secure
terminal server with encryption to one or several hosts and clear
access to all others?  What about a workstation with a DES chip?
Would you encrypt at the session level (by that I mean encrypting each
telnet session individually or each virtual circuit individually) or
would you encrypt at the link level for each packet sent to a secure
host?  I think we need a design and an RFC.

	I'll make my killing when the interoperability issues are a
little clearer  :-)

	Kent England
	Boston University