[comp.dcom.lans] Thinwire ethernet: Question about drop cables

randy@june.cs.washington.edu (William Randy Day) (03/20/88)

I have a question about thinwire ethernet. Is it possible
to insert a drop cable between the t-tap on the ethernet and the
transceiver tap on a controller's on-board trasceiver? If so,
what are the length limitations on this drop cable?

Thanks,
Randy Day.
Internet (ARPA): randy@dbnet.cs.washington.edu
CSNET: randy%washington@relay.cs.net
UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-june!randy

mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Nora) (03/22/88)

In article <4491@june.cs.washington.edu> randy@june.cs.washington.edu writes:

>I have a question about thinwire ethernet. Is it possible
>to insert a drop cable between the t-tap on the ethernet and the
>transceiver tap on a controller's on-board trasceiver? If so,
>what are the length limitations on this drop cable?

Yea, you can do that. I couldn't find the exact specification in the Digital/
Intel/Xerox v2.0 Ethernet Specifications Manual - all it talks about is the
thick Etherhose. But from expirenece we have made drop cables up to about
8 feet long and they seem to be working okay . . .
--
     Michael Nora       | Internet:  mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ...ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!mwn

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/22/88)

No, you can not place cable between the transciever and the T-adapter.
The T adapter needs to be directly connected to the BNC jack on the
integral transciever in the computer.  Not only does it violate the
specification, it doesn't work at all.

Generally a good, human readable, document for setting up Ethernet
cables is the DEC Network Buyers Guide.  I'm not recommending DEC
equipment over anybody elses but the instructions for cabling and
such are correct and you will not go wrong designing to their
specifications.

-Ron

In article <Mar.21.13.05.29.1988.1578@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>No, you can not place cable between the transciever and the T-adapter.
>The T adapter needs to be directly connected to the BNC jack on the
>integral transciever in the computer.  Not only does it violate the
>specification, it doesn't work at all.

Wrong. You can place cable between the T-connector and the transceiver jack.
On the workstation that I am typing this message from I just placed 12 feet
of cable between the T-connector and the transceiver on the back of the unit
and it is working just fine. All other units on the segment are working fine
also. You just have to remember that if you do this the maximum length of your
segment will have to be shorter than the maximum length allowed in the specs.

We've done a lot of testing/playing with our segments here just to see how far
we can push things before screw-ups occur. I've found that the specifications
do have a little leeway - you can place cable between T-s and transceivers,
you can go directly from thick-wire to thin-wire via N to BNC adaptors, you
can use RG-58 cheapo cable with a velocity of propagation less than .77 - it's
just that all these things will reduce the maximum allowable lengths of your
segments.

I'd suggest you experiment with your segment. Try placing cable between the
T's and see if it affects performance. We have an Excelan LANalyzer here and
I've looked at segments where there are quite a few workstations with cable
between the T's and the transceivers, and there were no abnormalities.
--

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (03/22/88)

In article <13364@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>In article <Mar.21.13.05.29.1988.1578@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>No, you can not place cable between the transciever and the T-adapter.
>>The T adapter needs to be directly connected to the BNC jack on the
>>integral transciever in the computer.  Not only does it violate the
>>specification, it doesn't work at all.
>
>Wrong. You can place cable between the T-connector and the transceiver jack.
>On the workstation that I am typing this message from I just placed 12 feet
>of cable between the T-connector and the transceiver on the back of the unit
>and it is working just fine....

Using cable of any significant length violates the specification.
Section 10.6.3 of 802.3 says:

  A BNC "T" adaptor provides a means of attaching a MAU to the coaxial
  cable.  The connection shall not disturb the transmission line
  characteristics of the cable significantly; it shall present a low
  shunt capacitance and therefore a negligbly short stub length...
  Long (greater than 4 cm) connections between the coaxial cable and
  the input of the MAU jeopardize this objective.

If you want to build and install a network that will work the first
time without tuning, will work when you expand it to include the
last station, and will continue to work after all the brand new
components age and shift their values slightly, then you follow
the rules.

Tuning isn't, per se, bad.  If you already own network diagnostic
tools and can test your nonstandard configuration, and you decide
this is the most cost effective solution to your networking needs,
that's fine.  My users want up front accurate estimates of how much
they will pay me to install network access.  For my estimates to
be accurate, I need to know with high confidence that an installation
will work the without doing a lot of tuning.  So I opt to follow
the rules.

Beyond that, I want configuration rules that are the same for
everybody.  I'd be real interested to hear the results of a test
where NM put 12 ft of stub coax between *every* station and the
network cable.

jim warner
sr development engineer

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/22/88)

>>I have a question about thinwire ethernet. Is it possible
>>to insert a drop cable between the t-tap on the ethernet and the
>>transceiver tap on a controller's on-board trasceiver? If so,
>>what are the length limitations on this drop cable?

>Yea, you can do that. I couldn't find the exact specification in the Digital/
>Intel/Xerox v2.0 Ethernet Specifications Manual - all it talks about is the
>thick Etherhose. But from expirenece we have made drop cables up to about
>8 feet long and they seem to be working okay . . .

It is a violation of the Ethernet specs to do so, although it may work
in some circumstances.  The spec is that the distance from the center
conductor to the transciever (embedded in the controller in the case of
T-tapped thinwire) must be less than some very small number (about 2cm
if I remember correctly).

The Ethernet spec is loaded with tradeoffs:  The system is reasonably
well guaranteed to work if the spec is followed carefully even when
pushed to the limit.  However, it's not often obvious what spec trades
off against which other.  Violating some specs might work; violating
the wrong combination won't.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"`She's smart, for a woman, wonder how she got that way'..."

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (03/23/88)

The thing to remember is that the general rules were designed as a
simple set of rules that, if followed, you would not exceed the actual
design limits. Thus, you can break these rules SO LONG AS YOU MAKE THE
NECESSARY ADJUSTMENTS ELSEWHERE. This is true of thick and thin wire.
For example, with thickwire, you can place transceivers closer than 2.5m
apart if you limit the total length of the segment (and maybe the number
of transceivers).  The misplaced transceivers will set up standing waves
on the cable, but if you only have 100m of cable and 20 stations, the
signal levels will be high enough to drown out the noise.

So you may be able to add 8' drop cables to your thinwire without
problems IN YOUR CURRENT CONFIGURATION. Later, if you extend the segment
to full length or add a transceiver that is a little weak but within
specifications, it may break. I have seen a number of sites that were
very sloppy installing their network and it worked fine until the
network grew near the limit specified by the rules. Then it fell apart.

So the bottom line is: if you must break a rule, document that fact so
that later, after you've left, the new network manager knows why it
doesn't work even though he's within the specifications. If possible,
get a Ethernet expert (no, I'm not that good) to figure out the
trade-offs.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/23/88)

In article <13328@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Nora) writes:
> In article <4491@june.cs.washington.edu> randy@june.cs.washington.edu writes:
> >I have a question about thinwire ethernet. Is it possible
> >to insert a drop cable between the t-tap on the ethernet and the
> >transceiver tap on a controller's on-board trasceiver? If so,
> >what are the length limitations on this drop cable?
> Yea, you can do that. I couldn't find the exact specification in the Digital/
> Intel/Xerox v2.0 Ethernet Specifications Manual - all it talks about is the
> thick Etherhose. But from expirenece we have made drop cables up to about
> 8 feet long and they seem to be working okay . . .

The reason you can't find the it in the spec is because it is
officially a no-no. But lots of people do no-no things and still have
working networks, thats one of the nice things about Ethernet. I too
use drops like this and 8 feet should be considered the absolute max
that will work, shorter is better. Just don't go crying to the vendor
if your network doesn't work and you've done things like this.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!---\			VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

howell@ecsvax.UUCP (Doc A. Howell) (03/24/88)

  If some people have done this and feel sure it works, could someone
provide some basic specs on their configuration. Total distance of drops,
number of drops per segment, total lengths of thick or thin media, type
of equipment used. This type of information would help me out greatly.

  I currently have a new building that should have about 20 stations
per thinwire segment. I plan to use the new 3Com multiconnect box as
the ethernet driver. I have a wallplate with 1 (read that ONE) BNC
connector in each office. Worse, I have the thin coax wired in a star,
not a bus. I inherited this problem, and now I have to make it work.

  Plan 1 is to rewire the office clusters from the star to tie a group
of 10 or so offices together and then connect these to a multiconnect
thinwire driver.

  If drop cables work, then plan 2 will be to make short drops and tee
off the wallplate. My max segment distance shouldn't be more than 300 feet.

  Plan 3 leave town if this doesn't work.

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/24/88)

I have some DEC printed matter which says that it is permissible to use
a thinwire ethernet tee connector stub cable of <== 27 inches.

I am installing some thinwire connections to VS2000's and some PC Clones
to talk to a VAX server.  The statement is made in documents that came
with the DEC hardware/software packages for the PC support, the names
being something like "VMS Services for MSDOS" (server software which
runs on VAX) and "PC Network Integration Package."

I have installed a couple of dozen thinwire connections in an office
environment using approx 12 inch tee connector stub cables, and this
works fine.

The reason I used the stub cables at all was to allow encasing the
coaxial tee connector in a small plexiglass package that prevents
accidental or deliberate disconnection in a casual way.  The present
scheme requires a screwdriver to get at the tee connector and there is
a printed warning label stating it must not be opened, who to call in
case of trouble, etc.  This seems to be sufficient to prevent
tampering or accidents at our site.

The enclosure is simply two rectangular plexiglas plates screwed
together with metal, threaded standoffs.  The standoffs are (3 of 'em)
located so as to secure the tee connector in the middle.  A printed
label is on the plexiglas plates.  This is our simple solution to the
hazards of thinwire and I suspect would be insufficient if
public/student access to the thinwire cable was the case.  Unfortunately
it is easy to open up the thinwire ethernet cable with coaxial tee
connectors at every connection.

andrew@sask.UUCP (Derek Andrew) (03/25/88)

|| I have a question about thinwire ethernet. Is it possible
|| to insert a drop cable between the t-tap on the ethernet and the
|| transceiver tap on a controller's on-board trasceiver? If so,
|| what are the length limitations on this drop cable?

| Yea, you can do that. I couldn't find the exact specification in the Digital/
| Intel/Xerox v2.0 Ethernet Specifications Manual - all it talks about is the
| thick Etherhose. But from expirenece we have made drop cables up to about
| 8 feet long and they seem to be working okay . . .

No, you cannot do that... just because it works doesn't make it right!  We
accidentally did this and it worked fine while we had about 4 machines
connected this way.  The fifth connection took down the segment.

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (03/26/88)

Simple transmission line theory.  When the wave travelling down the
Ether hits a tee connector, the energy splits, with 4/9 of it going
down the drop cable, 4/9 continuing on the main cable, and 1/9
reflecting back.  The waveform loses 1/3 of its voltage.
When the energy going down the drop cable reflects off the end and
rejoins the main cable, the voltage goes back up.  Thus the waveform
has a notch in it, whose duration is twice the round trip time of
the stub.  Each time the waveform passes another stub, the notch
gets wider and deeper.	When the width of the notch approaches half
a bit time (i.e. 50ns for Ethernet, 500ns for Starlan), the signal
will have reversed itself by the time the reflections add back in
(destructive interference), and things will go downhill fast from
there.

That means the combined length of all stubs is limited to about 3 meters.
If you have 100 taps on the cable, that's 3cm per stub (about what you
get from a single tee and BNC connector).  With only 10 stations, you can
have one-foot drop cables.

It might help slightly to use high-impedance drop cables (video cable
or IBM 3270 cable) to reduce the depth of the notch if you're going to
cheat by hanging cables from a tee.

If you need a long drop cable someplace, make it one end of the main
cable and terminate it at the workstation.  (Fortunately, cables have
two ends, so even if all your drop cables need to be long, you should
still be able to get two stations per thin ethernet segment).

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (03/26/88)

In article <5948@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) writes:
> Simple transmission line theory.  When the wave travelling down the
> Ether hits a tee connector, the energy splits, with 4/9 of it going
> down the drop cable, 4/9 continuing on the main cable, and 1/9
> reflecting back.  The waveform loses 1/3 of its voltage.
> When the energy going down the drop cable reflects off the end and
> rejoins the main cable, the voltage goes back up.  Thus the waveform
> has a notch in it, whose duration is twice the round trip time of
> the stub.  Each time the waveform passes another stub, the notch
> gets wider and deeper.	When the width of the notch approaches half
> a bit time (i.e. 50ns for Ethernet, 500ns for Starlan), the signal
> will have reversed itself by the time the reflections add back in
> (destructive interference), and things will go downhill fast from
> there.
>
> That means the combined length of all stubs is limited to about 3 meters.
> If you have 100 taps on the cable, that's 3cm per stub (about what you
> get from a single tee and BNC connector).  With only 10 stations, you can
> have one-foot drop cables.
>
> It might help slightly to use high-impedance drop cables (video cable
> or IBM 3270 cable) to reduce the depth of the notch if you're going to
> cheat by hanging cables from a tee.
>
> If you need a long drop cable someplace, make it one end of the main
> cable and terminate it at the workstation.  (Fortunately, cables have
> two ends, so even if all your drop cables need to be long, you should
> still be able to get two stations per thin ethernet segment).
>
> Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck

There seems to be a problem in the predictions/calculations based on the
theory presented here based on my own recent experience and most
certainly if the many who told of their experiences are accurately
describing their drop cables, many seem to VASTLY EXCEEN 3 meters in
total drop cable length.

As I previously stated, I use drop cables about 12 inches in length, but
admittedly the total drop cable length on the thin segment is right
around 3 meters, not vastly exceeding it.  The segment looks fine with
TDR, E-net tester, and LAN analyzer shows that the segment is behaving
normally (no pathologic repeat packets due to noise, point-to-point
tests error free, etc).  But some of the others posting to this
discussion were talking about 3-12 foot long drop cables, with multiples
of them on a segment, tallying what must be many, many times the 3 meter
failure limit described above.

What really bothers me is that I installed the 12 inch drop cables based
on guidelines in some manufacturer-supplied documents.  I guess I am
now sufficiently motivated to go back and peruse the bookshelf and find
the information.  I will post quotations/citation in the next few days.
As memory serves me the information stated a 27 inch limit on
t-connector drop cables without mentioning any mandatory reduction in
number of connections per segment, or reduction in segment length, which
now seems incorrect in light of these discussions (the quoted message
and others).

Perhaps some of those who are using t-connector drop cables,
particularly long ones, can add the total drop cable lengths, number of
drops, and total thin E-net segment lengths and post this info.  I will
do this as well.  It would be useful to compare notes here.  Also, it
would be useful to know if you analyzed/tested the segment with a
TDR (time domain reflectometer) or other E-net cable tester and/or
performed point-to-point testing on the segment and/or monitored the
general traffic on the segment using some sort of LAN analyzer.

miw@uqcspe.OZ (Mark Williams) (04/07/88)

I have been following this discussion with a certain amount of interest,
since it is always interesting to see what people get to work. We, too
have got a few rather dodgy configurations to work, but we always clean it
up as soon as possible, as our network is expanding, and eventually things
won't work. The more we play with the rules, the sooner that will be.
	One solution to the problem of drop cables (albeit an
unacceptable one for some id the ThinWire Ethernet Station Adapder. DEC
call their version of this the DESTA. It is a transceiver which plugs into
the t-connector. That is, it is like a vampire tap that uses a straw. :-)
You can then plug a normal transceiver cable (up to 40 metres long) into
the 15-pin port on the DESTA.
	I realise that this is no comfort to those who have controllers with
only bnc connectors, but for others it may be of some use.

Mark Williams
Prentice Computer Centre, University of Queensland, Australia
ARPA: ccwilliams%wombat.decnet.uq.oz@uunet.uu.net

--
DISCLAIMER: Whenever I tell them my opinions they fall asleep.

It is better to have loved and lost,
than to have spent your whole life winking