[comp.dcom.lans] tcp-ip for UNIX on a VAX

wayne@cylixc.UUCP (Wayne T. Steinmetz) (04/02/88)

	We have recently installed 2 Sun Workstations in our Comp.
Center and have them Etherneted together.  There is talk about al-
so including our 2 VAXen in the lan.  The question that I have is
the following:

Our VAXes are currently running 4.1BSD (we can't upgrade due to
kernel mods that have locked us in).  Is there an Ethernet board
with tcp-ip software still available anywhere that runs under 4.1BSD
but would still be compatible with the 4.2 versions on our Suns?

Since I don't think there that many people that are still interested
in a 4.1 interface, emailing instead of posting will probably be
better.  As is always the case, if I get information that seems to
be of general interest, I'll repost it.

Thanks.

Disclaimer:  My employer doesn't support my views either 8-).

email:  {gatech!emcard | csun}!fedeva!cylixc!wayne

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/03/88)

I don't suppose we could get you to upgrade to 4.3, 4.2, 4.1c, or
4.1a, all of which have TCP in the kernel.  4.1a isn't really that
much different than 4.1.

-Ron

wayne@cylixc.UUCP (Wayne T. Steinmetz) (04/08/88)

In article <Apr.2.18.44.26.1988.14210@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> I don't suppose we could get you to upgrade to 4.3, 4.2, 4.1c, or
> 4.1a, all of which have TCP in the kernel.  4.1a isn't really that
> much different than 4.1.
>
> -Ron

I wish we could upgrade to any of them (we have 4.2 sitting on a tape
just beggin' to be used).  Management here has dictated that we will
NOT spend the time to hack the new source to meet our local needs. :-(

-Wayne