[comp.dcom.lans] Unknown ethernet type fields

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (04/21/88)

Anyone know what the following ethernet type fields are and what they are used
for?

001a	-> seen from a Cisco Gateway -- dst is a multicast address
	   (one packet about every 60-90 seconds)
7000	-> seen from a UB XNS terminal server -- dst is both a multicast
		address and a specific machine
7002	-> seen from a UB XNS terminal server -- dst is a multicast address
7030	-> seen from a Proteon Gateway -- src & dst address are the same
	   (one packet about every 4 seconds)

		As far as this one goes, I was told that the ethernet board
		of the Proteon is set up to do this (the Proteon has
		nothing to do this transmission) as a test, though I
		don't see how because the dst address is the SAME as
		the src address.

Thanks in advance

--
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
 @/_________@/        cyrus@hc.dspo.gov

egisin@watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (04/23/88)

In article <23581@hi.unm.edu>, cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:
> Anyone know what the following ethernet type fields are and what they are used
> for?
>
> 001a	-> seen from a Cisco Gateway -- dst is a multicast address
> 	   (one packet about every 60-90 seconds)

Anything less than or equal to 1500 (0x5DC) is an 802.3 packet length.
The "protocol" is in the 802.2 LLC header following the 802.3 MAC header.