[comp.dcom.lans] Source for STARLAN PC cards

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (04/18/88)

I'm looking for a second (or third, fourth, :^) source for AT&T STARLAN
network access units for IBM PC's and compatibles - I detest having to pay
AT&T's prices.  I have heard of a New York outfit called Rupp Brothers and
seen an ad for their STARLAN cards - does anyone have anything good or
bad to say about them?  Any other leads?  Much thanks in advance!

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                   UUCP: harvard!adelie!iquery!matt  (512) 490 6684
Programmed Intelligence Corp.   "I wonder if he is using the same wind we are

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (04/20/88)

In article <127@iquery.UUCP> matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:

>I'm looking for a second (or third, fourth, :^) source for AT&T STARLAN
>network access units for IBM PC's and compatibles - I detest having to pay
>AT&T's prices.

Micom-Interlan and Western Digital both sell Starlan cards. Their cards are
called NI5210S and WD8003S, respectively. Software which can drive the
NI5210 or WD8003E (ethernet versions of the same cards) should work
okay with them.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@kaos.uucp			ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (04/21/88)

In article <127@iquery.UUCP>, matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:

> I'm looking for a second (or third, fourth, :^) source for AT&T STARLAN
> network access units for IBM PC's and compatibles - I detest having to pay
> AT&T's prices.  I have heard of a New York outfit called Rupp Brothers and

Western Digital makes a Starlan Card, WD8003S is the end leaf card, I don't
remember what the hubs and hub cards part numbers are. These are supposed to
be the most inexpensive boards on the market (as well as being surface mount,
reliable techknowledgy). I prefer ethernet myself.
--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/25/88)

From article <29@stanton.TCC.COM>, by donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan):
> In article <127@iquery.UUCP>, matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:
>>
>> I'm looking for a second (or third, fourth, :^) source for AT&T STARLAN
>> network access units for IBM PC's and compatibles - I detest having to pay
>> AT&T's prices.  I have heard of a New York outfit called Rupp Brothers and

Call Black Box (412/746-5530) and ask for their new LAN catalog.
Starlan, ethernet, arcnet, IBM token ring.

Starlan cards:  8K buffer, $350, 16K buffer, $375.  For AT, $850 (has server
functions, I believe).

I don't know how good their stuff is, but BB is well thought-of generally,
I think.

stev@ftp.COM (Stev Knowles) (04/27/88)

In article <127@iquery.UUCP>, matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:

> I'm looking for a second (or third, fourth, :^) source for AT&T STARLAN
> network access units for IBM PC's and compatibles - I detest having to pay

western digital and micom interlan both sell starlan interfaces that are
software compatable with their ethernet cards, and both are supported by
a large selection of software vendors (this will be less useful if you
want to use the ATT netbios, and then you got other, bigger problems:).

stev knowles,
ftp software inc
6178684878

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (04/27/88)

In article <185@ftp.COM> stev@ftp.COM (Stev Knowles) writes:
>software compatable with their ethernet cards, and both are supported by
>a large selection of software vendors (this will be less useful if you
>want to use the ATT netbios, and then you got other, bigger problems:).

Does this imply that there are known problems with the ATT netbios?  Can
you elaborate?  (I'm using it sucessfully with with other products, but
want to know if I should expect problems.)

  Les Mikesell