[comp.dcom.lans] Remote MAC level bridges

norm@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Seethoff) (04/26/88)

Our Facilities Department's passion to move people into separate buildings
continues.  We are now faced with the need to extend our engineering Ethernet
to a new building.

Options we have considered:

1)  get the Facilities manager fired:
	We can't.  He reports to a different Division.

2)  install more Vitalink TranLAN bridges with T-1 lines:
	We'd prefer not to, though it is a fallback solution.

3)  install remote repeaters connected by optical fiber:
	Possible, but not likely.  Optical cable would have to be provided
	by a local utility company already having right of way.  We enjoy
	dealing with the local telephone company almost as much as
	restoring large filesystems.

4)  install a higher speed MAC level remote bridge with a digital radio link:
	This is our first choice solution.  We do have an unobstructed
	line-of-sight path to the new building.  So far we only know about one
	product, the "MetroWave Bridge" from the brand D company.  Are there
	other remote bridge products on the market for use with link speeds
	higher than T-1 rates?  Our choice is probably limited to protocol
	insensitive bridges.  What types of digital radios are people using?

On a related note, would anyone care to suggest a local bridge product for use
in place of DEC's Lanbridge 100?

If I receive any responses other than sympathy, I'll post a summary in a week.

Norm Seethoff			norm@tc.fluke.COM
Technical Computing		206-356-5054
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (04/28/88)

in article <3561@fluke.COM>, norm@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Seethoff) says:

> Our Facilities Department's passion to move people into separate buildings
> continues.  We are now faced with the need to extend our engineering Ethernet
> to a new building.
>
> Options we have considered:
>
> 1)  get the Facilities manager fired:
> 2)  install more Vitalink TranLAN bridges with T-1 lines:
> 3)  install remote repeaters connected by optical fiber:
> 	Possible, but not likely.  Optical cable would have to be provided
> 4)  install a higher speed MAC level remote bridge with a digital radio link:

This may be a dumb question but: Do you have a "real land route"
	between your buildings.  We were having similar problems
	[i.e. choice 3] with moving our trunks and extensions
	up and down the block here.  We got clear title to a
	strip of land running down the block and then called the
	phone company....

We hade them:
	1) dig a hole [trench]
	2) lay a cable [cheaper w/phone company than outside help]
	3) lay four empty conduits with the cable
	4) cut all our CO-copper over onto the cable
	5) mount/burry a junction behind each building

This got us:
	1) a nice plot of freshly turned earth
	2) off the many-months-of-pain waiting lists for all our
		service change orders
	3) places to have outside parties [like AT&T] lay things
		like interduct w/fiber
	4) off the very expensive "rented" CO-copper for every
		circut on the block
	5) the ability to go anywhere, anytime, without having to
		mother-may-I the CO

This endevor was, and still is, ***__VERY!__*** cost effective.
Having bought the copper and the trench once, we are now free of
our CO for every on-site [i.e. 6 large buildings] telecom/data/lan
connection we care to make.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<  All the STREAM is but a page,<<|>>	Robert C. White Jr.		   <<
<<  and we are merely layers,	 <<|>>	nusdhub!rwhite  nusdhub!usenet	   <<
<<  port owners and port payers, <<|>>>>>>>>"The Avitar of Chaos"<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<  each an others audit fence,	 <<|>>	Network tech,  Gamer, Anti-christ, <<
<<  approaching the sum reel.	 <<|>>	Voter, and General bad influence.  <<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
##  Disclaimer:  You thought I was serious???......  Really????		   ##
##  Interogative:  So... what _is_ your point?			    ;-)	   ##
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (04/29/88)

In article <1037@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>in article <3561@fluke.COM>, norm@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Seethoff) says:
>>

>> Our Facilities Department's passion to move people into separate buildings
>> continues.  We are now faced with the need to extend our engineering Ethernet
>> to a new building.

.This may be a dumb question but: Do you have a "real land route"
.	between your buildings.  We were having similar problems
.	[i.e. choice 3] with moving our trunks and extensions
.	up and down the block here.  We got clear title to a
.	strip of land running down the block and then called the
.	phone company....

This is actually very practical. We did the same thing. Well, the ROWs
we needed cross city streets so our ducts are 30 feet below the
surface of the street, under the city's sewers and stuff. But it
works! We have fiber linking our 9 different buildings now, and as
much twisted pair as we can use with plenty of duct space for more if
we need it.

--
Make Japan the 51st state!

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/30/88)

I have been talking to a company called Microwave Bypass that
makes a limitted distance 23 GHz microwave system that uses
an Ethernet->Microwave transciever that provides the full 10M
Ethernet bandwidth.  The system goes for about $45,000 installed
including all the FCC stuff.  They quote famous net person Barry
Shein in their ads, but I haven't been able to reach him for comment.

Currently Rutgers leases T1 lines from the phone company and interconnects
things with Cisco AGS gateways.

-Ron