[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet utilisation

goodloe@xenon.UUCP (Tony Goodloe) (04/27/88)

I have heard (from some forgotten source ) that the access mechanism used on Ethernet will not allow a REAL csma/cd network to achieve more than about 50%-60% network utilisation. Can someone point me in the direction of a paper, article, personal experience, etc. that supports or refutes this claim? Many thanks.

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (04/30/88)

In article <47@xenon.UUCP>, goodloe@xenon.UUCP (Tony Goodloe) writes:
> I have heard (from some forgotten source ) that the access mechanism used on Ethernet will not allow a REAL csma/cd network to achieve more than about 50%-60% network utilisation. Can someone point me in the direction of a paper, article, personal experience, etc. that supports or refutes this claim? Many thanks.

I have seen these types of questions so many times that I feel it necessary to
respond. A CSMA/CD media protocol is non-deterministic. If only 2 stations are
connected via the cable and a transfer is started then the full bandwidth
available can be utilized. As the number of stations, distance between stations,
cable plant inconsistancies (I've never seen a perfect ethernet segment) and
many other factors change it becomes impossible to determine real throughput
by prediction. Only real world testing will give you valid results and due to
the nature of most networks (constant change) the results of any tests are
only valid for a limited time. With the exception of diskless workstation
nets I have seldom seen real network utilization exceed 20-30%. Diskless
workstation environments can eat up the bandwidth incredibly fast (6 - 10 SUN
stations can saturate a segment if you try :-))). Repeaters and bridges can
make this question even more impossible to answer. I find continuous performance
monitoring the only reliable way to determine the state of your network. The
items to watch for are an increasing (slowly, due to traffic; not quickly due
to hard problems) level of collisions, crc errors, too short or too long
packets. I have watched WD's ethernet grow from 1 building and <100 stations
to 16 buildings, 2800+ stations (station=end device, not node - nodes went
from 3 to roughly 200 as of today) and have run into many different performance
problems, all of which could be solved by segmentation and learning bridge
implementations. An ethernet is a synergy of all it's respective components,
only extremely careful design and monitoring can keep it running properly.

After all the above, it's still far easier than manageing a broadband net :-)

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/02/88)

In article <47@xenon.UUCP> goodloe@xenon.UUCP (Tony Goodloe) writes:
>I have heard (from some forgotten source ) that the access mechanism used on
>Ethernet will not allow a REAL csma/cd network to achieve more than about
>50%-60% network utilisation. Can someone point me in the direction of a paper,
>article, personal experience, etc. that supports or refutes this claim?
>Many thanks.

Well, there's an existence proof that you can get 80-85% utilization,
from ONE host at that.  Van Jacobsen & Mike Karels has been working on
the TCP/IP code in 4.3BSD and fine tuned it to really screem.  They've
been getting a bit over 8mbit/sec through put from otherwise unmodified
Sun 3/50's over ether.  The only problem was insufficient buffering in
some VMS hosts on their net ...  the VMS hosts crashed for some odd
reason, probably nobody ever thought anybody could tie up an ethernet
so well :-)

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

mar@athena.mit.edu (Mark A. Rosenstein) (05/03/88)

Yes, there are examples of a pair of hosts using 80% of an ethernet by
themselves.  But that does not mean that 10 hosts, each doing
different things and talking to different peers, could use that much
of the net.

When only 2 hosts try to use the entire network, the timing is very
tightly interleaved so that each sends another packet while the other
is listening.  But with several pairs of hosts attempting to use the
same net, they are likely to have collisions if each pair is
attempting to use 80% of the net.  In this case several hosts will be
waiting for the end of one packet so that they can start sending, and
may all start at the same time, causing a collision, then backoff and
retry.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I suspect that the
utilization will go down somewhat as more hosts are added, although it
would level off pretty quick.  I mean that one host could use the
entire bandwidth, all it ever needs to do is send.  Two cooperating
hosts could interleave packets and use nearly the entire network.
More pairs will collide a certain amount, but once you've added a
certain number of hosts, you will continue to get, say, 75% network
usage.

If anyone has any simulations, or better yet, real world numbers to
back this up, I'd like to hear them.
					-Mark

mar@athena.mit.edu			...!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!mar
		 Variables won't and Constants aren't

mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (05/03/88)

In article <5038@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mar@athena.mit.edu (Mark A. Rosenstein) writes:

>Yes, there are examples of a pair of hosts using 80% of an ethernet by
>themselves.  But that does not mean that 10 hosts, each doing
>different things and talking to different peers, could use that much
>of the net.
> [...]
>If anyone has any simulations, or better yet, real world numbers to
>back this up, I'd like to hear them.
>					-Mark

Dave Boggs has been doing the real-world measurements (in the sense
that he's using real computers and networks; it's hard to find real
applications that can saturate an Ethernet).  We have written a paper,
together with Chris Kent, that describes these measurements, summarizes
the theory literature, and explains why numbers like "37%" are at best
a misunderstanding of the theory.

The paper has not yet been published; we will let people know when it is.
Some preliminary results: with 1536-byte packets, 1 of our hosts can
get 92% of the (10Mbit/sec) bandwidth; 2 hosts together get 99.8%;
22 hosts get 97%.  I.e., for large packets the ethernet really is
10 Mbits/sec.

Theory says that smaller packets lead to lower utilization, because
collisions occur more often.  For minimal-length (64-byte) packets,
the host we are using could not send them fast enough to get more than
26% utilization with 1 host on the air (that's 3700 packets per
second; this has nothing to do with collisions).  We get 75% with 3 hosts,
81% with 10 hosts, and it appears to stay at 81% through 22 hosts
(11500 packets/sec.)

Of course, the delays seen by each host get worse as the number
of transmitters go up, but the Ethernet does not suffer congestive
collapse even when an awful lot of iron is shouting really loud.

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (05/03/88)

I saw the Ethernet work as Xerox PARC working papers, but Bertsekas
and Gallaher reference an article by Metcalfe and Boggs, "Ethernet:
Distributed Packet Switching for Local Computer Networks", Commun. ACN
[sic - presumably ACM], 395-404.  As I recall, the Xerox studies
claimed 90% loading.  We've heard recently from Van Jacobson that he
has gotten over 8MB/sec sustained throughput on an FTP transfer over
an Ethernet.  Of course this is probably more than 80% Ethernet
utilization because of various network overheads.  On the other hand,
I don't think you'd want to load a network to even 50%.  General
statistical rules of thumb suggest that when you've got lots of users
contending in a random way, your peaks are going to be an order of
magnitude above your average, so in order to avoid slowing people down
when they need bursts of speed (which is quite typical in the normal
Ethernet applications), you don't want steady state loading (i.e.
averages over a minute or so) to be above 10%, even during your peak
periods.  The same consideration would be true for token ring or any
other type of medium.  That is, the effects due to the very random
character of the traffic are likely to dominate the effects due to
differences between CSMA, token ring, etc.

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (05/04/88)

In article <5038@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> mar@athena.mit.edu (Mark A. Rosenstein) writes:
>                                   In this case several hosts will be
>waiting for the end of one packet so that they can start sending, and
>may all start at the same time, causing a collision, then backoff and
>retry.

Well, sort of.   There is no listening for the end of a packet.  Just
randomizing and trying again and listening for a collision.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                                   Tandem Computers
bc@halley.UUCP                               Austin, Texas

holt@inco.UUCP (Mark Holt) (05/04/88)

In article <5038@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, mar@athena.mit.edu (Mark A. Rosenstein) writes:
> More pairs will collide a certain amount, but once you've added a
> certain number of hosts, you will continue to get, say, 75% network
> usage.
>
> If anyone has any simulations, or better yet, real world numbers to
> back this up, I'd like to hear them.
> 					-Mark
>
> mar@athena.mit.edu			...!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!mar

Also: (I tried to mail directly ... same old story)
News-Path: hadron!sundc!seismo!uunet!ingr!b11!xenon!goodloe

> I have heard (from some forgotten source ) that the access mechanism
> used on Ethernet will not allow a REAL csma/cd network to achieve more
> than about 50%-60% network utilisation. Can someone point me in the
> direction of a paper, article, personal experience, etc. that supports
> or refutes this claim? Many thanks.

Reference : Stallings, William, Local Networks - An Introduction, Macmillan,
1987, Chapter 9 - Network Performance.

The above is a readable, if inconsistant, discussion on some techniques
for approximating performance.  The book points out that the chief factors
affecting the performance of a LAN or a HSLN (Hi Speed Local Net) are:

quote
	Capacity
	Propagation Delay
	Number of bits per frame
	Local network protocols
	Offered load
	Number of stations
end quote

Stallings then goes into greater detail on how some of these parameters
affect performance.  For example, he shows (by way of derivation of
formulas and use of graphs) how the number of bits per frame and the
number of stations active can impact the capacity vs actual data rate
(ideal : actual data = capacity) curve.  Also, he goes on to show
how much more efficient (maximum potential utilization) a token ring
topology is than CSMA/CD.

Now, before I get torched by people crying "real world, real world",
Stallings notes that the results he shows "...depend on the nature
of the assumptions made and do not reflect accurately the nature
of the real-world load."  However, I think he has built a pretty
good argument... :-) .

Hope this helps, my apologies if I have misrepresented Mr. Stallings.

mark
--
/*--------------------------------------------------------------*
*  Mark L Holt                                                  *

wsmith@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Warren Smith [Randy]) (05/11/88)

Sorry for the delay, I'm just catching up on my news here...

In article <47@xenon.UUCP> goodloe@xenon.UUCP (Tony Goodloe) writes:
>I have heard (from some forgotten source ) that the access mechanism used on
>Ethernet will not allow a REAL csma/cd network to achieve more than about
>50%-60% network utilisation. Can someone point me in the direction of a paper,
>article, personal experience, etc. that supports or refutes this claim?
>Many thanks.

And then added the following (not all on one line this time):
>I feared that my posting didi make it to the net in its entirety, and I can
>see now that it must not have. My question was "what maximum utilization
>can one expect to see on an Ethernet?" I know that a csma/cd net is
>non-deterministic, that's why the question exists, otherwise I could
>determine it :) I was looking for more sources like "Performance of an
>Ethernet Local Netwotk: A Preliminary Report" by Shoch and Hupp  or
>"Performance Analysis of CSMA/CDD" by Tobagi and Hunt. I haven't made it
>through Tobagi and Hunt, but according to Shoch and Hupp they have seen
>a maximum of ~98% utilization down to maximum ~60% utilization depending on the
>test conditions. Read the article for more info. I was looking for more
>info like this, or real live experience. Our net gets up to about 35%
>and we do have individual nodes capable of more. What I am curious about
>is what people have seen or caculated (using statistical means (no pun
>intended)) on other nets with lots of these beasts on them. Maybe this
>posting will make it out in one piece.

There are numerous articles and books that review the basic analysis
of Ethernet (see Boggs and Metcalfe from CACM sometime in 1976 for
the first analysis).  Almost every computer networking text includes some
portion of a CSMA analysis.  Aside from Shoch and Hupp there is very
little published on measured Ethernet performance.  There was a paper in
1986 by Raj Jain and Shawn Routhier (IEEE Selected Areas of Comm) on some
measurements of a 10Mbps token ring at MIT - you may want to track down
some of the papers they reference.  If you know of other papers
in this area please tell me.

Here are some of my observations (assuming a network with a large number
of stations that aren't synchronizing to avoid collisions):
  1) Ethernet can utilize up to about 96% of the 10Mbps bandwidth
  2) Higher utilization results in higher delays (due to collisions
     and deference).
  3) Larger (physically) Ethernets waste more time detecting collisions,
     which are also more likely.
  4) Just because the Ethernet itself can reach ~96% utilization doesn't
     mean your stations or higher level protocols will survive it.
  5) At about 50-60% load the delay shoots up dramatically
  6) I have monitored an Ethernet with a sustained load of 48%
     averaged over an hour.  This was a network with about 50 nodes,
     many diskless.  Performance was poor but bearable (debatable).
     This network usually averaged around 25% load during the busy
     period of the day.
  7) Token rings (in general, assuming the same bandwidth) do much better
     in terms of delay at the higher loads.  However delay becomes a
     significant factor beyond 70-90% load.  Of course the token ring
     gets a slight penalty in terms of delay at low loads.

After going back and looking at your question again I see that what I
said in (5) resembles what you heard from your forgotten source.
The numbers are fuzzy since there are so many other factors involved.
For some Ethernets 40% load may be unbearable, on others 70% load
no problem.

Randy Smith
wsmith@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
...!ihnp4!umn-cs!wsmith