[comp.dcom.lans] Many things on ethernet together???

Robin@turbo.RAY.COM (Robin Alston) (04/30/88)

We have a bunch of SGI workstations currently running XNS over ethernet.
We have just been informed that when we move into a new building at the
end of May we will have to use a single ethernet cable for the whole
building which includes many vaxen running VMS many many pc's with some kind
of future-net link and many pc's with simple vax links.

My question is can this really work?
Can XNS and TCP-IP share the same coax cable with no possible problems?
Can we have our own domain (we really have no interest at this time in
talking to our vaxes), while decnet has its own on the same cable?

Am I right to be paranoid about some bureaucrats decision to limit internal
cabling this way?

We are intending at some future time to upgrade to TCP-IP so we can run NFS
but we want to do that in our own sweet time and not in a hurry.

Any help or hard facts would be gratefully accepted before I go out and
humanely shoot myself.

# Whats worse than two MA drivers on a freeway?    #      Dr. Robin the REAL
# Answer: One Toronto driver                       #      SuperUser Atilla!
 -------------------------------------------------	  (617)-460-8225
	Robin@turbo.ray.com		.....!rayssd!turbo!Robin

limes@sun.uucp (Greg Limes) (04/30/88)

In article <218@turbo.RAY.COM> Robin@turbo.RAY.COM (Robin Alston) writes:

>Can XNS and TCP-IP share the same coax cable with no possible problems?

No problem. At the bottem layer, all the packets are tagged with source
and destination ethernet addresses, so packets only go where they are
expected -- except for the broadcast packets ...

Also, there is a field in the ethernet packet that determines the
protocol type; this should be checked by your network software.
Hopefully the drivers will not bitch about unknown packet types, as the
XNS packets are a complete mystery to TCP, and TCP is just greek to XNS.
It is even possible (gag) to run both TCP/IP and XNS through the same
physical interface, but the bottom layer does need to know where to send
each packet type. You might consider contacting someone at Communcation
Machinery Corporation in Santa Barbara, California; when I was there we
did some XNS development that shared the building-wide ethernet with
normal TCP used by all the other iron.

>Can we have our own domain (we really have no interest at this time in
>talking to our vaxes), while decnet has its own on the same cable?

You do not need to do anything special to ignore each other; in fact,
quite a bit would need to be done to make them talk. One would have to
understand the other's protocol. Imagine red and blue light in an
optical fiber. The upper level packet layouts just do not jibe.
--
   Greg Limes [limes@sun.com]				frames to /dev/fb
--

dls@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (05/01/88)

	We ran two distinct logical TCP/IP networks on one Ethernet cable
for a time with no problems. The only thing you'll have to worry about
are (Ethernet) broadcast packets, since those will go everywhere. IP should
drop them quietly, but I don't know about XNS.

--
					+-DLS  (dls@s.cc.purdue.edu)

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/03/88)

You can put a LOT of still on one cable. The limiting factor is the
traffic, not the number of devices (until you reach the addressing
limit). I would not expect to see any trouble, and you can get software
for the VMS machines to enable sending SMTP mail to them.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (05/03/88)

In article <218@turbo.RAY.COM>, Robin@turbo.RAY.COM (Robin Alston) writes:

> We have a bunch of SGI workstations currently running XNS over ethernet.
> We have just been informed that when we move into a new building at the
> end of May we will have to use a single ethernet cable for the whole
> building which includes many vaxen running VMS many many pc's with some kind
> of future-net link and many pc's with simple vax links.
>
> My question is can this really work?
> Can XNS and TCP-IP share the same coax cable with no possible problems?
> Can we have our own domain (we really have no interest at this time in
> talking to our vaxes), while decnet has its own on the same cable?

We have converted our ever growing network from our XNS to TCP.  Two years
ago, we had ~100 workstations, some VAXes, and other stuff, all on one
cable.  We used XNS almost exclusively, even on the VAXes.  We now have
lots more workstations, more VAXes (VMS, 4.2+XNS+TCP, 4.3+NFS), PC-clones
running TCP, many cables, routers (our own, of course), bridges,
microwaves, an APRANET connection (also, of course, our own box--please
forgive the commercial), using almost exclusively TCP/IP/UDP.  The
conversion was continuous; for most percentages n between 1 and 100, we
have had n% TCP and (100-n)% XNS, without trouble.

We also mix DECnet with TCP & XNS on the same cable, using IRIS's & VAXes
to gateway between TCP & DECnet.

We have been blessed with other, educational troubles.  For example,
consider what groups of IRIS 4D's running the UDP-broadcast version of
'dog' at >30 frames/sec do to 750's, which think anything more than 20
broadcast packets/sec is a catastrophic storm.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com    {decwrl,sun,pyramid,research,allegra,ucbvax}!sgi!vjs

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (05/04/88)

XNS and TCP/IP will coexist on an Ethernet.  They use different Ethernet
Type numbers.

I have the TCP/IP version of flight simulator when you're ready.

-Ron

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (05/06/88)

Other people have given you the theoretical whys and
wherefores about doing this.  I thought I would chip in some
practical experience in case you are the type who wants
"real proof".  (I'm not trying to be derogatory here, just
helpful.)

We run one Ethernet cable with the following protocols on
it:

    TCP/IP
    XNS
    DECnet
    DEC LAT
    DEC MOP

Everything runs just fine.  Don't worry about it.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   By Computer:	    ...!hplabs!felix!zemon

egisin@watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (05/07/88)

One thing no-one has mentioned yet is the case where the ethernet type
is a valid 802.3 packet length.  I think Xerox PUP falls
in to this catagory (what's PUP anyway?).

What do 802.3 compatible systems do with such packets?
VMS 4.4, for example, supports 802.3 LLC headers.

wilson@laic.UUCP (Robin Wilson) (05/08/88)

We have a very large network here at Lockheed.  We have Ungermann/Bass
terminal servers using XNS, and Vaxen using DECnet, SUNs using NFS and
TCP, Symbolics using CHAOS (TCP derivative), and assundry "special"
cases using there own brand of protocols.  Our primary concern, in
having them all use the same cable (baseband Ethernet bridged together
with protocol independant VitaLink TransLAN Bridges), is coordinating
additions of new devices of the SAME protocol.  For example, I work at
the Research Lab in Palo Alto, and we are bridged over a VitaLink to the
main Lockheed facility in Sunnyvale; we are constantly having problems
when the Sunnyvale people connect stuff up to their network and forget
to tell us.  One time, our DECnet crapped out because we were set to
route to only 30 nodes.  The Sunnyvale facility had connected a very
extensive network to theirs using a VitaLink, the new network had about
40 DECnet nodes, and when they added them to our DECnet, our router
began to swap between the thirty most recently seen nodes, and then
trashed.  The long and the long (no short story here) of it is that if
you connect alot of different protocols to your network, be sure you
keep tight reigns on the addition of new devices, some of them may have
effects you never dreamed of on your other nodes out there.

R.D. WILSON  "Keep your grubby paws off of my views!"

mckay@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D Mckay) (05/10/88)

While we're on the topic:

Is it possible to have Novell NetWare on the same wire with TCP/IP, XNS and
AppleTalk (ethertalk?)?

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: EE 348B, phone: (317) 494-3561]

chuck@excelan.UUCP (Chuck Kollars) (05/11/88)

In article <2962@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> mckay@ea.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP
(Dwight D Mckay) writes:
>...Is it possible to have Novell NetWare on the same wire with TCP/IP,
XNS and AppleTalk (ethertalk?)?

Yes, all protocols can run on the same Ethernet wire at the
same time.  Novell's network OS can run over many different
media, one of which is Ethernet.

If you're using Ethernet with NetWare, consider attaching
*all* the NetWare Servers and *all* the Workstations to one
Ethernet cable.  Multiple NetWare Servers on a single cable
works fine.  And the Workstations will have direct access
not only to the NetWare Servers, but also to all the
non-NetWare nodes if and when they need it.
--
Chuck Kollars,   Excelan, Inc.   (chuck@excelan.UUCP)
mabell: (408) 434-7434	Internet: mtxinu!excelan!chuck@ucbvax.Berkeley.COM

bob@cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) (05/11/88)

You can run just about any protocl on the same ethernet cable.
This is because anyone wanting to devise a new protocol is supposed
to obtain a protocol number from Xerox.  This protocol number is
encoded in the sent packet.  Receivers are expected to recognize only
the protocols they are prepared to deal with.  This is why this works.
--

Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA

greg@vertical.oz (Greg Bond) (05/11/88)

In article <2962@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> mckay@ea.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Dwight D Mckay) writes:
>Is it possible to have Novell NetWare on the same wire with TCP/IP, XNS and
>AppleTalk (ethertalk?)?

Certainly is. We have one thin enet cable here running SUNs (TCP/IP)
and NetWare 2.0a concurrently. In fact, I have a PC that has a 3com
enet card talking PC-NFS (TCP) and a Gateway G-net card talking Netware
(on a separate cable!) at the same time. So if I had 2 enet cards I guess
I could do both at once on the same cable from the same PC.
--
Gregory Bond,  Vertical Software, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: greg@vertical.oz.au	(or greg%vertical.oz.au@uunet.uu.net)

stewarta@sco.COM (Stewart I. Alpert) (05/12/88)

In article <2962@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> mckay@ea.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Dwight D Mckay) writes:

>While we're on the topic:
>
>Is it possible to have Novell NetWare on the same wire with TCP/IP, XNS and
>AppleTalk (ethertalk?)?

Yes