[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet and IEEE 802.2

dsb@ihwpt.ATT.COM (debbie butler) (05/11/88)

Do there exist any products/home-brews that run IEEE 802.2
protocol?  I'm particularly interested in any Ethernet
implementations.

For that matter, is there any real 802.3 implementation running
in the real-world?  Or is everything DEC/Intel/Xerox Ethernet?

If IEEE 802.2 is used, is the connection-oriented service
ever supported for Ethernet?

Thanks for any info.

Debbie Butler                    **** NORMAL DISCLAIMER ****
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL.

adam@its63b.ed.ac.uk (ERCF02 Adam Hamilton) (05/13/88)

In article <2539@ihwpt.ATT.COM> dsb@ihwpt.ATT.COM (debbie butler) writes:

>Do there exist any products/home-brews that run IEEE 802.2
>protocol?  I'm particularly interested in any Ethernet
>implementations.
>
>For that matter, is there any real 802.3 implementation running
>in the real-world?  Or is everything DEC/Intel/Xerox Ethernet?
>
>If IEEE 802.2 is used, is the connection-oriented service
>ever supported for Ethernet?
>

>Thanks for any info.
>
>Debbie Butler                    **** NORMAL DISCLAIMER ****
>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>Naperville, IL.

Point no. 1 - this is the uk.ac world.  It is no more representative
than any other (perhaps smaller than some).

The committee responsible for networking in the UK academic community
decided that the protocols of choice for running over CSMA/CD
networks are Coloured book protocols (NIFTP/Mail/JTMP/triple X) over
X25(1984) over LLC type 2 (connection-oriented) over 802.3.
	We at Edinburgh University Computing Service have implemented
these for UNIX systems.  Other manufacturers (DEC, Prime and even IBM)
have implemented them for their own OSes.  Other products (Ethernet
PAD, gateway to X25(1980) on WAN) also exist.
	This is intended to be part of the transition to full OSI.
We (uk.ac) have been running the Coloured book protocols over X25(19800
for some time with success.  The target networking protocol is X25(1984)
(since that is what the European PTTs will offer).

	A couple of extra points.  At first I thought that running X25
over an Ethernet was CRAZY.  But you want to run the same network level
protocol on LAN and WAN because inter-networking becomes sane that way.
Therefore if you are connected to an IP WAN, run IP; if you are
connected to an X25 WAN (especially X25(1984) which has decent
addressing capabilities) run X25.
	The UK academic community is well served by an X25 WAN.  I can't
remember details of size etc.; it is big, but it isn't the ARPANET (much
less the Internet).  This will also move to 1984 X25 from the 1980 version
it runs just now.
	Our implementation can also run the WAN connection using either
1980 or 1984 (given suitable h/w).  This has been running for some time
now and works fine.
	Like everyone else we have found no problem interworking between
Ethernet I, Ethernet II and IEEE802.3 kit; IEEE is the standard of choice
for h/w.
	TCP/IP still runs as usual, NFS and all.
	We have a number of other ISO protocols available but not all so
well tested.
	Further queries welcome.

		Adam Hamilton