[comp.dcom.lans] Info on Wollongong's WIN/PC Route

ugogan@ecsvax.UUCP (Jim Gogan) (05/17/88)

Subject: Info on Wollongong WIN/PC Route?
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans

Has anyone had any first hand experience or "look-see" at the WIN/PC
ROUTE product from the Wollongong Group?  For those not familiar
with the "announced" product, the following excerpts are from the
preliminary info blurb:

"OVERVIEW
WIN/PC Route is a software gateway product which provides IP routing
for TCP/IP based communicatino between Ethernet and proprietary
Netbios-based PC local area networks.  The product operates with PC
or MS-DOS 3.0 or later and requries a PC dedicated to the gateway
function.

FEATURES
- WIN/PC Route supports gateway capability for Ethernet-to-Ethernet
networks as well as Novell NetWare Netbios-based PC LANs
- Each WIN/PC Route support up to three different physical nets.

BENEFITS
WIN/PC Route operates as a gateway conecting proprietary PC LAN's to
Ethernet network envirnoments utilizing TCP/IP protocols.  For
example, users on a Novell Netware network can now transparently
connect to host computers, running TCP/IP, on an Ethernet network as
though they were directly connected to that network.

NETWORKS SUPPORTED
WIN/PC Route supports the following network hardware interfaces:
 -  3Com 3C501 Etherlink
 -  3Com 3C505 Etherlink Plus
WIN/PC Route suports the following network software interfaces:
 -  Novell
 -  Netbios
 -  Network Interface   (No, I don't know what they mean by that
either - J.G.)"

That's ALL I know about it.  Anyone got any more information
(preferably first-hand)?  Does anyone from the Wollongong Group with
knowledge of this program read/respond to this newsgroup?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-- Jim Gogan (ugogan@ecsvax.UUCP -or- ecsvax.BITNET -or-
ecsvax.uncecs.edu)
    Microcomputing Support Center
--
     Jim Gogan                             mail:ugogan@ecsvax (UUCP/BITNET)
     Microcomputing Support Center

ljm@twg-ap.UUCP (Leo J. McLaughlin) (05/21/88)

>Has anyone had any first hand experience or "look-see" at the WIN/PC
>ROUTE product from the Wollongong Group?...

Yes.

>NETWORKS SUPPORTED
>WIN/PC Route supports the following network hardware interfaces:
> -  3Com 3C501 Etherlink
> -  3Com 3C505 Etherlink Plus...

The 3Com 3c503 Etherlink II is also supported.

>WIN/PC Route suports the following network software interfaces:
> -  Novell
> -  Netbios
> -  Network Interface   (No, I don't know what they mean by that
>either - J.G.)"

That should have read "Novell NetBIOS Network Interface", which is to say
that it uses the INT 5C NetBIOS interface.  WIN/ROUTE will run over
whatever hardware you've happened to purchase for your Novell network.
Actually, we also officially support the IP router over IBM's and
Performance Technology's NetBIOS implementations.

In addition, a supplemental release containing 802.HP drivers, a Western
Digital driver, a SLIP driver, and an IPX interface should be released
shortly.

>That's ALL I know about it.  Anyone got any more information
>(preferably first-hand)?  Does anyone from the Wollongong Group with
>knowledge of this program read/respond to this newsgroup?
>Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quite simply, it is a standard (albeit static) IP router.  The PC on which
WIN/ROUTE resides must be dedicated to this routing task.  It supports
fragmentation and reassembly, subnetting, and ICMP.  The NetBIOS interface,
similar in concept to Gustaf Neumann's April posting, encapsulates IP
packets in NetBIOS datagrams allowing proprietary LANs to communicate with
the TCP/IP world.

Performance is acceptable, but not sterling.  FTP transfers go from their
normal 200 to 225K/sec (to or from my PC RAM disk) to about 80K/sec if I
have to go through our router (an 8Mhz 286).  This router can handle around
550 packets/sec through two 3c503 ethernet interfaces; this goes down to
about 350 packets/sec if a NetBIOS interface is used.

Hope I've been of some use.

                                          Enjoy,

ljm@twg-ap.UUCP (Leo J. McLaughlin) (05/21/88)

--