[comp.dcom.lans] Wanted: Delni

robert@csustan.UUCP (Robert Zeff) (06/04/88)

I'm about to connect three workstations via ethernet.
(A Tektronix 4301, & two 6130's) I've been told that I need a
"Delni" or Delni look-alike.  Can someone point me to a cheap
source?

Thanks,

--
Robert Zeff                         (209) 577-4268 voice, FAX: (209) 577-8548
2549 Yosemite Blvd Ste. E           {lll-lcc,lll-crg}!csustan!zhome!robert

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/05/88)

If you want cheap, TCL is about the cheapest, but it isn't the
nicest product.  Cabletron and DEC both make products.  The cabletron
is the nicest having switchable SQE test and having some lights and
a loopback switch (necessary if you aren't going to directly attach
it to a cable).  With the University discounts DEC and Cabletron are
about the same price.  Should run you about $800.

-Ron

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/07/88)

In article <5398@coherent.com> celeste@coherent.com (Celeste C. Stokely) writes:
>Save yourself a lot of grief and don't buy a Delni. They seems to suffer
>from some of the worst quality control problems I've ever seen. If you get
>a good one, they're great, but it's hard to get a good Delni.

Could you go into more detail on this? How can you tell if your DELNI is bad?

We have used a lot of Cabletron equipment and are very happy with them also.
Mostly transceivers. We started using DELNIs before Cabletron was around
and for lack of any problems directly attributed to them stuck with them.

By coincidence, we are seeing problems in a new building and I wonder if
the DELNIs are the culprit.
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com