[comp.dcom.lans] thickwire-to-thinwire -- will DESTA work?

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/12/88)

{{ sorry if you see this twice...i munged the subj on 1st and sent a cancel }}

All the devices on our network go through a DELNI.  I want to add a XENIX
box with an EXOS 205T board, so I need to get a piece of thinwire to it.
The cheapest solution we can think of is putting a DESTA on the DELNI,
and running a single thinwire segment from there.  Unfortunately, this
isn't demonstrated in the numerous examples in DEC's Network Buyers Guide.

I hope this is because DEC would rather sell me a DEMPR, and not because
the DESTA won't do the job.  Please let me know if you know whether this
will work, or if you can suggest any alternatives.  Please send mail, and
I will post a summary if there are several responses or requests for
summary.  Thanks.

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (06/12/88)

In article <359@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>All the devices on our network go through a DELNI.  I want to add a XENIX
>box with an EXOS 205T board, so I need to get a piece of thinwire to it.
>The cheapest solution we can think of is putting a DESTA on the DELNI,
>and running a single thinwire segment from there.  Unfortunately, this
>isn't demonstrated in the numerous examples in DEC's Network Buyers Guide.

A DELNI has 8 male D connectors and one female.  You can attach a
DESTA to the female connector, throwing the little switch on the
DELNI, and run thin wire from there to your XENIX box.  Or you can
change the jumpers on your EXOS 205T card to activate the transceiver
cable connector and hook it up like the rest of your devices.

Jim Warner
U. of Cal Santa Cruz