[comp.dcom.lans] Linking Ethernets with Serial Lines

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (06/17/88)

Is there any existing products that will link two independent
coaxial-based Ethernets together using one or more ordinary
point-to-point serial lines running at speed up to 19.2k bps
each?  One use of this product could be to link physically
remote Ethernets together with cheap point-to-point serial
circuits, or telephone modems.

Ideally this product would be self-contain in hardware so that
it can be pluged into the Ethernets on both ends directly, without
needing a Sun or a dedicated PC to run the gateway software.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Please reply by e-mail if possible, I will summarize if I get
any information.
--
Samuel Lam     {ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (06/20/88)

In article <1808@van-bc.UUCP>, skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) writes:
> Is there any existing products that will link two independent
> coaxial-based Ethernets together using one or more ordinary
> point-to-point serial lines running at speed up to 19.2k bps
> each?  One use of this product could be to link physically
> remote Ethernets together with cheap point-to-point serial
> circuits, or telephone modems.
> any information.

Try checking out the ACC-4030 (Advanced Computer Communications) remote bridge.
Protocol independant, has 6 connectors which can support up to 4 low speed
modems (0-19.2k) or up to 2 high speed (56/64k) modems. Theses work GREAT!

> --
> Samuel Lam     {ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst
Western Digital Corp.
donegan@stanton.TCC.COM

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (06/25/88)

In article <60@stanton.TCC.COM>, donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) writes:

>Try checking out the ACC-4030 (Advanced Computer Communications) remote bridge.
> Protocol independant, has 6 connectors which can support up to 4 low speed
> modems (0-19.2k) or up to 2 high speed (56/64k) modems. Theses work GREAT!

  We have been considering these.  Would you please elaborate ?  In particular,
  filtering ability, how close to true protocol independence, and performance.
  Regarding performance, if tcp/ip or Decnet being used, how many sessions can
  be handled on a 9600-baud connection before echoplex shows insufferable
  "sponginess" ?

   many thanks, greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

  (P.S.: if anyone has had experience with these, and is willing to talk about
         it directly, please send me message with phone number, so that I can
         call you).