[comp.dcom.lans] AT&T ISN system and self maintenance

steveg@ritcsh.UUCP (in stereo where available) (06/23/88)

Since our ISN site has grown to eight nodes and counting our yearly
maintenance costs are over $65,000.

For that price I know I could buy a spare node as well as all the
spare boards I would need.

My problem is does anyone know if AT&T offers a board repair service.
So that if I had a faulty AIM, I could swap it with my spare and send
the non working AIM in for repair for a reasonable cost.

If AT&T does not offer this repair service does anyone else offer a
board type repair service?

Don't get me wrong, we happen to have a superb AT&T service man at
our site, it is just the yearly maintenance that is a killer and as
our site grows so will the amount of dollars we need to dish out.

Steven Good
--
   ___      ___     ___   Steve Good       ...uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ritcsh!steveg
|@/o o\@| @/- -\@ @/o o\@ Network Administrator         BITNET%"SNGDCO@RITVAXD"
| \ o / |  / o \   \/-\/  Rochester Institute of Technology       (716)475-2702
 \ --- /  | --- |  /---\  "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I say nothing" Shultz

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (06/24/88)

In article <3073@ritcsh.UUCP>, steveg@ritcsh.UUCP (in stereo where available) writes:
> Since our ISN site has grown to eight nodes and counting our yearly
> maintenance costs are over $65,000.
> My problem is does anyone know if AT&T offers a board repair service.

AT&T has a National Parts Sales Center which you can reach at
1-800-222-PART.  Any part which they designate "Customer Installed"
can be purchased by calling with the COMCODE or PEC that applies to
the assembly you want to order.  In most cases, they offer two
prices: an outright purchase, and a swap where you have 30 days in
which to ship your defective part back to them after they send you
the replacement, and you get a lower price.  I have used this number
to obtain replacement boards and power supplies for AT&T Personal
Computers.  They tell me it also works for business telephones and
phone system parts.  I don't know about ISN, but call and ask!

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (06/28/88)

In article <3073@ritcsh.UUCP>, steveg@ritcsh.UUCP writes:
> Since our ISN site has grown to eight nodes and counting our yearly
> maintenance costs are over $65,000.
>
> Don't get me wrong, we happen to have a superb AT&T service man at
> our site, it is just the yearly maintenance that is a killer and as
> our site grows so will the amount of dollars we need to dish out.
>
> Steven Good

AT&T offers support on a time and materials basis.
If the repairs are infrequent and inexpensive, this may be something
to consider.