[comp.dcom.lans] RetixGate 2244 MAC Bridge

ffj@ifistg.UUCP (07/08/88)

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with the RetixGate 2244 MAC
Bridge.

We are about to buy some of them and are interested in any comments on this
bridge.

Advanced thanks,

Franz Fabian
Computer Science Department, University of Stuttgart
West Germany

UUCP: ..!uunet!unido!ifistg!ffj
ARPA: ffj%ifistg@uunet.uu.net
CSNET: ffj%ifistg@germany.csnet

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/09/88)

We have used one of the Retix bridges and found it to be as
advertized: a no-frills bridge implementation with "medium"
performance at an amazingly low price.  The question of whether 6000
packets/sec forwarding is "good enough" (versus a DEC LANbridge's
stated 12,000?) is a tricky one.  We tested the bridge between a number
of Sun clients and their server with no apparent ill effects.

They are coming out with a bridge management package that runs on a PC
and is ISO-based.  Haven't seen it, but it looks like an interesting
design, and it should greatly increase the value of the product.  Any
network box without management hooks is an invitation to headaches.

- RL "Bob" Morgan
  Networking Systems
  Stanford

jerry@oliveb.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (07/13/88)

In article <3059@Portia.Stanford.EDU> morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

>They are coming out with a bridge management package that runs on a PC
>and is ISO-based.  Haven't seen it, but it looks like an interesting
>design, and it should greatly increase the value of the product.  Any
>network box without management hooks is an invitation to headaches.

I have trouble understanding this statement.  Do you think that a
repeater should have nework management hooks?  Isn't a bridge just a
slightly smarter repeater?  (I am assuming an ethernet to ethernet
bridge here.  Not one using slower intermediate media.)

Assuming the bridge is doing only ethernet address filtering and doesn't
do multicast or other user specified filtering, do you need to manage it
any more than you would manage a repeater?  Granted without special
filtering you have a large network that is vulnerable to many problems.
But a bridge is not a router and even the best of management hooks is
not going to fix that.  The bridge can isolate traffic and provide some
security from monitoring (but not spoofing).

So, if one views a bridge as an inteligent repeater then what management
tools are needed?  The only one I can think of is statistics and that
could probably be better generated from other sources.  I mean, do you
really trust the bridge to tell you about its own performance?

Given the high cost of repeaters, why would someone want to use one
instead of one of the Retix bridges?  (An honest question, I would like
to see the tradeoffs discused.)

jqj@uoregon.uoregon.edu (JQ Johnson) (07/14/88)

In article <25335@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>	 Do you think that a
>repeater should have nework management hooks?  Isn't a bridge just a
>slightly smarter repeater?
Yes, and the availability of network management hooks is one reason to
prefer a bridge over a repeater.  Note that a router is just a slightly
smarter bridge :-).

>Assuming the bridge is doing only ethernet address filtering and doesn't
>do multicast or other user specified filtering, do you need to manage it
>any more than you would manage a repeater?
Yes.

>So, if one views a bridge as an inteligent repeater then what management
>tools are needed?  The only one I can think of is statistics and that
>could probably be better generated from other sources.  I mean, do you
>really trust the bridge to tell you about its own performance?
Yes, I think that traffic data is important.  A bridge is VERY useful
for analyzing (first pass) which parts of your network are getting
overloaded.  So is topology; if your bridges support automatic pruning
to build a spanning tree, you want to be able to find out what tree is
currently configured.  So is the ability to filter multicast and broadcast.
So is the ability to remotely segment your network for debugging serious
problems.

>Given the high cost of repeaters, why would someone want to use one
>instead of one of the Retix bridges?  (An honest question, I would like
>to see the tradeoffs discused.)
Retix throughput is only about half of full Ethernet bandwidth, so in
some applications you need a repeater for speed unless you want to pay
a lot more for your bridge.  Retix price is about twice that of a dumb
repeater, so in some applications you want a repeater for price.  On
the other hand, on our campus I have a dozen 2244Ms and no repeaters --
I'm using the Retix in place of a repeater.