[comp.dcom.lans] UUCP Over TCP/IP

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (07/15/88)

In article <387@comdesign.UUCP> pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) writes:
>Pardon my ignorance,  but I'm confused about running uucp over TCP links.
>
>My only guess would be for folks running TCP terminal servers hooked into
>dial-in/dial-out modems .. the remote site dials into the modem, goes via
>tcp to the host, and runs uucp as if the modem was direct-connected to
>the host.

I've been doing this over a annex box using rlogin.  The big problem
seems to be that something (rlogin?) doesn't provide a 8 bit
path so I have to use the uucp 'f' protocol.  Since I'm coming in on a
non error free modem and 'f' uses a block size of the whole file, this
really isn't ideal (although it usually works ok).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

More info on what I want to do:

Given that I have modems and uucp and no tcp/ip connections (or
software), I want to send mail to a host that has tcp/ip connections
but no modems or serial ports.  There is a annex terminal server that
can provide a modem/rlogin link.  This seems like a common need for sites
with many machines networked together and only a few modems.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/18/88)

In article <4624@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>In article <387@comdesign.UUCP> pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) writes:
>>Pardon my ignorance,  but I'm confused about running uucp over TCP links.
>>
>>My only guess would be for folks running TCP terminal servers hooked into
>>dial-in/dial-out modems .. the remote site dials into the modem, goes via
>>tcp to the host, and runs uucp as if the modem was direct-connected to
>>the host.

um, it's also great for avoiding phone bills to call rutgers :-)

>Given that I have modems and uucp and no tcp/ip connections (or
>software), I want to send mail to a host that has tcp/ip connections
>but no modems or serial ports.  There is a annex terminal server that
>can provide a modem/rlogin link.  This seems like a common need for sites
>with many machines networked together and only a few modems.

You could ...

1. cook up a different protocol.  Take the g protocol and have it not
   generate the "evil" characters and have a mapping scheme to allow all
   the characters to go through.

2. Find a host that's has both UUCP capabilities and TCP/IP connections to
   the host you want to send mail to.  Use this host as a gateway.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET