[comp.dcom.lans] lance...

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (07/28/88)

In <16774@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> seeger@ufl.edu (Charles Seeger) writes:

>The manual for my Chipcom Ethermodem derates its performance when driven
>by the Lance, but mentions no degradation for any other implementations.
>Have also seen criticism of the Lances in Sun 3/50s and 3/60s.
>Any comments or explanations?

	the Ethermodem performance isn't derated per se -- but
	the distance it can work over is scaled back...

	all ethernet driver chip(sets) have their limitations.
	it happens that one of the limitations of the Lance has
	the effect of lessening the maximum broadband cable length.
	it doesn't affect baseband cable, because the max baseband
	segment length is 500 meters.

	all things considered, even with this limitation
	of the Lance chip, it is probably the best ethernet chip
	on the market today.

	steve elias
	Chipcom Corporation