[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for rec. on PC lans that don't require dedicated server

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (07/28/88)

   One of the companies I do soem part time consulting for is thinking about
setting up some PC's for a secretary and her boss.  They would probably be
doing word processing and spreadsheets on it (semi-independently).  One thing
they would like to have would be SideKick or any similar pop-up program that
allowed them access to a calendar, rolodex, phone log, etc.  What they wanted
to know is whether it would be possible to set up the two machines so that
certain files remained identical across the two machines.  For example, if she
makes an appointment in the calendar, whenever he access it he should also
see it.
  My solution off the top of my head was TOPS.  One machine would act as the
server for the specified program/files (SideKick, in this case), and when
the other machine booted, it would first mount that volume, and then run it
from there (ie. she would boot first, export subdirectory with SideKick; he
would boot after her, mount that subdirectory (making it appear local), and
run it also).  I'm assuming that whatever changes he would make would show to
her as well (since both should be using the same data file, and assuming no
conflicts (both not updating at once).
  The question I have is will this work, both from the TOPS standpoint and
the application standpoint.  I've done some work with TOPS and I don't see
any problem.  I'm not sure how pop-up programs would handle this.
  I could also forsee them wanting to be able to print from both machines,
and I'd like to know if a network software solution would be better/cheaper
than running cables and putting in some type of switchbox to 1 printer.  File
transfer would probably also be desireable.  Cost must be kept to a minimum.
The TOPS solution could be obtained for about $250 per PC (AppleTalk/FlashTalk
board and TOPS software, which is probably about the maximum they'll want to
spend (unless a great solution appears).  I've seen ads for some other low
cost nets (EASYlan, EASYprint) which I'm not familiar with, and there are also
probably some I don't even know about, so I really could use any help you can
provide.  Thanks.

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff

rlb@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (08/01/88)

In article <648@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:

>   One of the companies I do soem part time consulting for is thinking about
>setting up some PC's for a secretary and her boss.  They would probably be
>doing word processing and spreadsheets on it (semi-independently).  One thing
>they would like to have would be SideKick or any similar pop-up program that
>allowed them access to a calendar, rolodex, phone log, etc.  What they wanted
>The TOPS solution could be obtained for about $250 per PC (AppleTalk/FlashTalk
>board and TOPS software, which is probably about the maximum they'll want to
>spend (unless a great solution appears).  I've seen ads for some other low
>cost nets (EASYlan, EASYprint) which I'm not familiar with, and there are also
>probably some I don't even know about, so I really could use any help you can

You might want to take a look at a new LOW cost LAN called BoxNet.  It
uses the PCs serial port (running at 115000 baud) to implement a very
effective simple network.  It allows sharing of disks, printers, etc.
It will support a maximum of six nodes (12 if 2 serial ports are used).
BoxNet is a Baseband distributed bus network, so, if one system goes
down, the others on the network are unaffected.  I just installed this
on a couple of PCs at my church last week.  So far, it looks great, and
does everything it was advertised to do.  Our decision to purchase this
system was based on a review in PC Clones magazine (June 1988).  The
LAN was given very high marks in their tests.  They found that the
performance timings of ethernet "are not that much better than BoxNet".

The only drawback to Boxnet seems to be the distance between nodes.  The
limit is 600-1000 feet when using the supplied cable (ordinary modular
telephone cable).  They claim that the distance can be stretched to one
mile if fiber optic cable is used.  Distance can also be increased by
using point-to-point modems.

The really great part is the cost! Only 89.95 per node. (2 node minimum)
This includes all the necessary hardware, software, and 25' of cable.
What more could you want?!?

For more info, contact:

		BOX #1
		PO Box 1
		Bath, NY  14810-0001
		(800) 541-2691
		(607) 569-2376

brickman@cme-durer.ARPA (Jonathan E. Brickman) (08/03/88)

>Low-cost LANs

There's another very low-cost LAN out there, running through standard parallel ports
with all above features, called COMMIX.  It is (rarely) available in a trial
version running on serial ports at normal speeds on local bulletin boards.
||Jonathan E. Brickman

dnccz@dcatla.UUCP (Carolyn C. Zimmer) (08/04/88)

10-NET Communications makes very low cost PC lans which do not
require dedicated servers.  They are a division of Digital Communications
Associates, Inc, which I work for (in another division).

      d                     |
      d                     | Carolyn Zimmer
 dddddd  cccccc  aaaaaa     | Digital Communications Associates, Inc.
d       c       a      a    |
 dddddd  cccccc  aaaa  a    |