[comp.dcom.lans] variability of delay etc.

mrm@sceard.UUCP (M.R.Murphy) (08/22/88)

In article <5313@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:

>I wanted to follow up my previous posting with some philosophical
>comments, quite personal, on the role of standards in data
>communications.
[Very reasonable (in my opinion) comments deleted]
A standard, optimal or non-optimal, is most useful, as long as said
standard doesn't preclude the attainment of the goal the standard
is supposed to make easier to reach. When the standard restricts or
makes attainment difficult or impossible, toss the standard (Third Law
of Pragmatism).
If a country disconnects a circuit when a non-standard protocol is in use,
it is everyone's loss. If it is beneficial to the country to have the
information that is passed as a result of the connection, then I hope
that enlightened self-interest (Some Other Law of Pragmatism) will prevail.

--
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
ARPA: sceard!mrm@nosc.MIL   BITNET: MURPHY@UCLACH