[comp.dcom.lans] Call for discussion: PC-Network Operating System Comparison

etstbos@dutrun.UUCP (Erik-Jan Bos) (09/05/88)

In article <576@laura.UUCP> edelhoff@exunido.UUCP (Volker Edelhoff) writes:

>Currently I'm using a 3COM PC-Network with 3COM Software and 3COM
>Hardware and it performs quite miserably. Even optimizing the
>(much too many) parameters of the 3COM Operating system does not
>result in any performance gain.

>Now I would like to know whether the other major Operating Systems
>for PC-Network will perform better than 3COM!
That's a nice question! Performance in fact is not an absolute
entity. The performance of a system is always compared to the
performance of some other system. We should define a sort of simple,
for everybody to use, benchmark for testing the performance of our
systems.

>What are Your experiences with PC Network Operating Systems?
We have a Waterloo PORT LAN installed, using ARCnet hardware. We used
an Olivetti M24 (XT compatible) as fileserver and the performance wasn't
that good! But now we upgraded the fileserver to an AT, with 4 Mbyte
of memory. We now think performance is very satisfying, but we did not
compare this to other systems. But I repeat, performance figures should
be compared to another.

>What do You think about BANYAN and it's VINES - it seems to bee
>unlimited in its facilities, but what about PERFORMANCE?
I like to hear that too! Maybe unlimited :-) ?

Conclusion: Maybe we can come down to some very simple tests and we
can compare some Network Operating Systems.

I await your comments...
--
Erik-Jan Bos                       EARN/BITNET    : ERIKJAN at HDETUD53
Delft University of Technology     EUnet/USENET   : etstbos@dutrun