[comp.dcom.lans] high-speed local area networking

kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) (09/19/88)

We are interested in upgrading our LAN to support distributed
computation.  What solutions are now available in the >80Mbps
range?
	Thanks,	Kurt

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (09/20/88)

In article <23639@hi.unm.edu> kurt@hi.unm.edu (Kurt Zeilenga) writes:
>We are interested in upgrading our LAN to support distributed
>computation.  What solutions are now available in the >80Mbps
>range?
>	Thanks,	Kurt

	Proteon sells a proprietary near-FDDI Pronet-80.  It runs at
80 Mbps and supports the dual counter-rotating ring technology that
has been incorporated into FDDI.

	Some vendors would say that they offer FDDI today.  I would
say they don't.  But it will be here "soon".

	There are several proprietary high speed solutions that I
would dub the "channel attached" solutions for plugging workstations
into host channels.  These are for big IBMs and Crays and Cybers
primarily.  I think there is a new HyperChannel and there is something
called UltraNet and one or two more.  These solutions are highly
specialized and, I think, not suited for WAN or HS-LAN.  But these
workstations tax even FDDI, so these "channel extenders" have their
place.

	If I were building a high speed LAN or WAN, I would see if I
couldn't get some "dark fiber" from a service provider and build my
own FDDI or Pronet network.  We and many other campuses have Pronet-80
running on a dual ring.  I would prefer dark fiber (ie, no service,
just raw fiber from A to B) since the telcos have not yet proved they
understand datagram networks.  [just my opinion.]  You might even be
able to get conduit space and install your own fiber.