[comp.dcom.lans] Does anyone rent TDR's?

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (09/16/88)

I would like to rent a Time Domain Reflectometer to check out our backbone
cable, and I have a few questions.

1. Are TDR's which are advertised for diagnosing ethernet problems (e.g. the
   one made by Cabletron) different in any way from TDR's which are not
   specific to ethernet?

2. Do you know of any company (preferably in the Boston area) which will rent
   an appropriate TDR?
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!mbr

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/17/88)

The Ethernet TDR's are generally cheaper.  The other "wire" ones
ought to work.  The phone guys were going to loan us one they
used, and were convinced that it was more than I needed, but
the problem went away before I took them up on the offer.
Of course if it's an OTDR, it's a different picture.

I actually have a Cabletron unit.  We've had it out a couple
of times, but we haven't actually found a problem that it
would have solved.  Usually just serves to point out that
the physical cable is NOT what is causing the failure.

-Ron

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (09/18/88)

In article <425@aoa.UUCP> mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:
>I would like to rent a Time Domain Reflectometer to check out our backbone
>cable, and I have a few questions....

What is special about the Cabletron TDR is (1) it uses negative going
pulses to probe the cable and (2) it can superimpose a steady negative
voltage onto the cable to force all the stations to defer.

The rational for using negative going pulses is that's what transceivers
normally put on the cable so you minimize the possibility of electrically
stressing your installed transceivers.  I'll buy that.

Cabletron brought one of their TDRs out here for a sales demo.  I
found that it didn't do any more than the setup I was using which
cost a whole lot less money.

I use a conventional pulse generator and an oscilloscope.  The
requirements for the pulse generator is that it be able to generate
negative going pulses ~50 nS long and that it have a separate output
to send to the trigger input of your oscilloscope.  One pulse
generator that is suitable is B&K model 3300, which sells for about
$400.

Put the pulse generator close to the scope and the end of the E-net
cable.  Run a BNC cable from the generator to a 'T' connector on the 'scope
input.  Another BNC cable goes from the o'scope 'T' to a BNC to N type
adapter on the end of the E-net cable.  Set the pulse generator to
produce 0.5V negative going pulses before you attach it to the E-net
cable.  A good repetition rate is anywhere between 1 and 10 KHz.  A
third BNC cable goes from a spare output on your pulse generator
to external trigger input on your oscilloscope.

You'll be measuring the distance to reflections in time units.  Convert
to distance units by multiplying by 0.77 ft per ns.  You should divide
your observed times by two to convert round trip time to one-way time.

The reason for a triggering the oscilloscope independent of the signal
on the E-net cable is that it then won't trigger on attempts of hosts
to transmit.  This readily serves the same function as Cabletron's
custom negative bias generator.

I would prefer a packaged portable TDR unit if I had to do TDR in
the field where there was no electricity -- say in a man hole in
the middle of the street.  But I don't climb around in man holes...

I am especially fast to get out my TDR setup whenever (1) we are
dealing with a new contractor and the office wants to know if it's
OK to pay the bill (2) someone wants to convert their network cable
to RG58 with a type N to BNC adapter (3) a network expansion is being
done with cable from a different vendor than the original install.

Of course, if your records are less than perfect, TDR also provides
the authoritative method for determining the length of a cable segment.

jim

sung@mcnc.org (Wayne Sung) (09/19/88)

The Ethernet specific tdr's are capable of testing the cable without
turning off all stations. Other tdr's such as the ones used in rf
cable work do not have this capability.

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (09/19/88)

In article <Sep.16.20.37.28.1988.20510@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>The Ethernet TDR's are generally cheaper.  [...]
>
>I actually have a Cabletron unit.  We've had it out a couple
>of times, but we haven't actually found a problem that it
>would have solved.  Usually just serves to point out that
>the physical cable is NOT what is causing the failure.
>
>-Ron

	Just a follow-up to this:

	You should have a cable TDR'ed before installation when it is
still spooled and TDR'ed after installation.  The first test is the
"cable acceptance" test and the second is the "installation
acceptance" test.  You can have the installer do both TDRs as part of
his contract.  Any contractor with Ethernet experience can do that.

	You usually won't need to TDR a cable again, unless you let
just anybody install stuff on it.  :-)  You might be able to do
without one, unless you have miles and miles of cable.

	However, another trick we use is strategically placed barrel
connectors.  We usually have floor cables run into a closet to access
a riser.  There are barrel connectors placed in the closets that let
us physically partition a segment for diagnostics.  It's actually
easier and less disruptive than a TDR, for to TDR a cable you have to
disrupt traffic on it.  Ideally you want the cable completely shutdown
to traffic, which may be impractical.

	We do all the transceiver installs ourselves and rarely find
the need for a TDR beyond acceptance testing, but we do have one
because they are relatively cheap.  If you don't have an Ethernet
analyzer, buy that first, then buy a LAN-MD (or other), buy the TDR
last.  Hope this helps.

	Upon further reflection [pardon that pun], a TDR would be nice
when some other contractor damages your cable, but again we usually
find it faster by inspection and by asking questions.  The bright
yellow color we use saves a lot of damage.  I guess contractors will
waste anything black or aluminum/steel colored (like broadband coax)
before they'll touch that funny yellow stuff.  (Anybody know a vendor
that sells orange broadband coax?)

ian@lassen.SGI.COM (Ian Clements) (09/20/88)

 Electro-Rent rents the Tektronix 1502 and 1503.  The 1502 comes with a strip
chart recorder and is good for about 500 meters of cable.  The 1503 comes
with a strip chart recorder and can be ordered with distance calibration
option, P7 phosphor and a metric version of the recorder.

 The 1502 runs about 450 a month.  I don't know about the 1503.

	Cheers,

	Ian

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/22/88)

Our best line we got from a contractor was "We thought that was an extension
cord."  We snuck into a building under construction and ran the Ethernet cable
before they put the cieling grid in, tying it up very nicely out of the way.
The ceiling people pulled it down so that it would be below the finished
ceiling.

-Ron