[comp.dcom.lans] Any DELNI equivalents?

srinivas@cs.utexas.edu (Srini Sankaran) (09/16/88)

I wonder if there are any boxes equivalent to DEC's DELNI, which are
as reliable as and cheaper than DELNI?

-Thanks
-srini...

srinivas@cs.utexas.edu
...!cs.utexas.edu!srinivas

deke@socrates.ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) (09/16/88)

The TCL Multiport is a DELNI equivalent.  I use both, and they both
work well, but the TCL device is an 8 slot card cage, so you have the
option of buying one with fewer than 8 cards (tranceivers), and adding
more as needed.  Even a full rack of 8 is much cheaper than a DELNI.

TCL can be reached at (415) 657-3800

*PLEASE NOTE*  I am not connected in any way with TCL (except maybe
by IP :-).  I like their products, and use their tranceivers and
Multiports because they are inexpensive and reliable.

 \\\  Deke Kassabian, URochester Department of Electrical Engineering  \\\
  \\\ deke@ee.rochester.edu                  "I never metacharacter     \\\
   \\\   or ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!deke     I didn't like......"      \\\
		   "Isn't fun the BEST thing to have ?"

billp@billp.pacbell.COM (Bill W. Putney) (09/16/88)

In article <3340@cs.utexas.edu> srinivas@cs.utexas.edu (Srini Sankaran) writes:

>I wonder if there are any boxes equivalent to DEC's DELNI, which are
>as reliable as and cheaper than DELNI?

Cabletron makes a thing called an MT-800.  I have two in my net and they
work fine.  The major differences between the DELNI and the MT-800 are
1) The MT-800 has a nice set of activity indicators and 2) It seems to
meet all the spec's for a tranceiver.  The price is about the same and if
you plan to by more than one you can get some kind of break.

-- Bill

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/17/88)

deke@ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) writes:
> the TCL device is an 8 slot card cage, so you have the option of buying one
> with fewer than 8 cards (tranceivers), and adding more as needed.  Even a
> full rack of 8 is much cheaper than a DELNI.

	TCL has a new 2-port card that slips into the same 8-slot chassis
as their old cards, for a maximum of 16 tranciever ports per chassis.  The
2-port card cost slightly less than 2 1-port cards.  We've got some of
these on order right now.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (09/17/88)

The BICC units are cheaper, support full 802.3 compliance (including SQE if
desired) and are just as reliable in my experience (about 40-50 of each).
We use BICC these days and do not purchase any more of DEC's units.
Bridge Communications can give you a lead to the BICC units (or sell them to
you themselves).

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (09/20/88)

My experience with the BICC multiport transceivers has been less than
acceptable. I have had them wedge under heavy traffic load. I no longer use
them because of this experience.

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (09/22/88)

We have (at least) four Cabletron MT-800s multi-port transceivers around the
lab (and on our ship.) In general, I like them, but I have some reservations.

"BLOWN" ports:
There is a port in one of them that just plain doesn't work. I think it went
away when I unplugged a live drop cable. Subsequently, I have made and broken
lots of live connections with out any apparent problems.

LEDS:
They are very handy when sleuthing around for problems.  I have grown to distrust
the red "CP" led that the manual says is collisions. We just don't seem to see them
in proportion to the activity of this led (I realize that there is a one shot that
stretches the event so that the eye can see.)  On the other hand, maybe they know
something we don't...

I don't have any experience with any others, and no connection (other than being
a customer) with Cabletron. As a vendor, they are helpful and responsive.

[ To paraphrase:
	If this is an opinion, it must be mine.

	One of the great things about this place is that its so disorganized
	that it dosen't have policies, never mind opinions.

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (09/23/88)

In article <902@shark.lamont.Columbia.edu> dale@lamont.Columbia.edu
(dale chayes) writes:
+---------------
| We have (at least) four Cabletron MT-800s multi-port transceivers around the
| lab (and on our ship.) In general, I like them, but I have some reservations.
| LEDS: ...I have grown to distrust the red "CP" led that the manual says is
| collisions. We just don't seem to see them in proportion to the activity of
| this led...
+---------------

The "CP" LED is probably simply reporting activity on the "collision detect"
line of the interface. If you have an 802.3 or Ethernet-2 transceiver on the
coax, the transceiver will briefly pulse "CP" after every transmission (the
so-called "heartbeat"). (EThernet-1 transceivers do not do this.)

Don't worry about it. (...except, all your controllers should probably be
configured for "heartbeat" -- a.k.a. "SQE" -- or they may get confused. I
doubt it is safe to mix 802.3/Ether2 and Ether1 stations on the same multiport.)

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

wilson@nova.laic.uucp (Robin Wilson) (09/25/88)

In article <3340@cs.utexas.edu>, srinivas@cs.utexas.edu (Srini Sankaran) writes:
> I wonder if there are any boxes equivalent to DEC's DELNI, which are
> as reliable as and cheaper than DELNI?
>
> srinivas@cs.utexas.edu
> ...!cs.utexas.edu!srinivas

We use Cabletron Multiport fanouts here.  They have been quite reliable
and somewhat more useful in determining network problems (they have
lights and things on them to tell us what they are attempting to do for
us.

R.D. Wilson  (These are my views.)