[comp.dcom.lans] Novell and big disk.

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (10/11/88)

I've been reading this group for a while, but either I missed it or this hasn't
been discussed in a while.  So, perhaps I can get a bit of help and/or spark
some discussion that might lead me to an answer...

Sitting nearby is a Standard Brand 286 machine we got with the hopes of using
it for a fileserver on a Novell network.  With it we purchased a Maxtor 338M
disk, model XT-4380E.  After a lot of time and crying, we were able to get it
all up and running as an MS-Dos machine.  Ok, fine so far.

Next step was to set it up as a fileserver.  And things fell apart...

After spending a while (mucho hours/days) getting the shells generated, etc,
I tried to Netgen.  What I'm looking at now is:

Abend: Improper ROM Parameter table for AT hard disk controller.

The version of Netware is 4.01.  The controller is an Adaptec.

Anyone know if this is a dead end, or what I might be doing wrong?  Should I
drop back and punt, i.e. get a new disk and controller and make someone here
REAL happy to have a huge disk?

This thing has me quite stumped and frustrated.  Any and all help will be
appreciated.  If there's significant mail or whatever, I'll summarize to the
group, of course.  Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever.

Dewey Henize

| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|             execu!dewey  Dewey Henize   or    juniper!dhenize               |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (10/12/88)

In article <326@execu.UUCP> dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>Next step was to set it up as a fileserver.  And things fell apart...
>
>After spending a while (mucho hours/days) getting the shells generated, etc,
>I tried to Netgen.  What I'm looking at now is:
>
>Abend: Improper ROM Parameter table for AT hard disk controller.
>
>The version of Netware is 4.01.  The controller is an Adaptec.
Netware 4.01?  I'm not too sure what that is (is it ELS netware?)
Anyway, with SFT 2.1, this would work.  The Adaptec does not run as
is as a Netware file server disk controller.  The ATDISK.OBJ file
(I think on Support) must be copied over to a DSK_DRV_01 type disk
and some patches done.  However, these do *not* work too well. Another
fix is (supposedly) to get an official driver from Adaptec that they get
from Ontrack Systems (the maker of Disk Manager).  This is supposed
ti work better.  Or you could do as I have done.... dumped the Adaptec
for a Western Digital that is supported under SFT 2.12.

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (10/12/88)

In article <6769@chinet.chi.il.us> pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) writes:
>In article <326@execu.UUCP> dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>>
>>The version of Netware is 4.01.  The controller is an Adaptec.
>Netware 4.01?  I'm not too sure what that is (is it ELS netware?)
Ack, sorry.  Fingers went off without control again.  According to the
Gendata diskette, its 4.12.  Sigh, my apologies.

Any help is still appreciated.
| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|             execu!dewey  Dewey Henize   or    juniper!dhenize               |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (10/12/88)

If the version number you have is 4.01, then I would say you have a
very old version of Netware that does not support your hardware.
Check with a Novell reseller about upgrading your package to Advanced
Netware 2.11.  The cost should be the difference you paid for 4.01 and
the cost of 2.11 ($2200).  Not only will it support your equipment,
but will allow you to use the entire disk.  Earlier Netwares could
only handle up to 255MB disk.  Now they will allow taking a >255MB
disk and partition it into several partitions, none to exceed 255MB.

Tim.
--
Timothy Lange / Purdue University Computing Center / Mathematical Sciences Bldg
West Lafayette, IN  47907 / 317-494-1787 / tim@j.cc.purdue.edu / CIS 75410,525