[comp.dcom.lans] The National Software Works - Information wanted

frank@dutinfd.UUCP (Frank de Bruin) (10/08/88)

First:
If you see this message for the second time: accept my apologies.
We do have some trouble with our news system and I really need the
information, so I reposted this message on another host. Please send
answers by E-mail to ..!mcvax!westc!fdbruin.

Now for my problem:
Studying all kinds of network environments (especially in heterogeneous
computer networks), I encountered in "the ACM Proceedings of the Annual
Conference 1977" some articles addressing a project called the
National Software Works (NSW). This NSW was an effort to create a
network operating system on top of existing operating systems.

I'm very interested in the NSW approach of user-network interfacing,
but I couldn't find any recent information. That's why I post the
following questions on the net:

- What is the status of the NSW? Is it finished, stopped or is there
  still any development going on? Are there implementations available?

- Where can I get more (up-to-date) information/documentation?

Any help is welcome. Please do reply by E-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Frank J. de Bruin
West Consulting bv
..!mcvax!westc!fdbruin   (or fdbruin@westc)

toner@drivax.UUCP (Steve Toner ) (10/14/88)

In article <1095@dutinfd.UUCP> frank@dutinfd.UUCP (Frank de Bruin) writes:

>- What is the status of the NSW? Is it finished, stopped or is there
>  still any development going on? Are there implementations available?
>
>- Where can I get more (up-to-date) information/documentation?

I worked on NSW for a couple of years when I worked at BBN.  Unless it is
in use in some secret installation somewhere, it has died, as it only ran
on the old NCP and was never upgraded to run under TCP.  When it did run, it
ran great before about 8 AM Eastern time, but as people woke up and started
using the network and the Works Manager host (at ISI as I recall), it slowed
to a crawl.  All the documentation I have is dated 1982.  Here is a list of
the doc that I have:

    NSW User Reference Manual, May 1982
    A Technical Overview of the NSW Project, BBN Report 5238, Dec 1982
    UNIX NSW Component Reference Manual, BBN Report 5029, July 1982

The BBN Reports may be available from BBN (Cambridge, MA).  I'm pretty
sure that at least some of the documentation is available from the
gummint (NTIS???), as the work was done for RADC and ARPA and was
unclassified...  There is also a Springer-Verlag book that contains a brief
section about NSW (including some parts that were never implemented...)

/Steve Toner         ...!amdahl!drivax!toner