[comp.dcom.lans] Cisco CGS routers

sob@bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (10/18/88)

I am happy to report that I have received a Cisco CGS box. It works
just fine.

I regret to report that it can't handle the non-violatile memory
option. I was told originally that it would and ordered it that way.
It was shipped without it and today I found out about the problem.

I am told that the CGS "may never" have NV memory. Sigh. I will
continue to wish for it.

Stan Barber, Manager, Networking
Baylor College of Medicine
sob@bcm.tmc.edu

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (10/18/88)

In article <1323@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

>I am happy to report that I have received a Cisco CGS box. It works
>just fine.
>
>I regret to report that it can't handle the non-violatile memory
>option. I was told originally that it would and ordered it that way.
>It was shipped without it and today I found out about the problem.
>
>I am told that the CGS "may never" have NV memory. Sigh. I will
>continue to wish for it.

	I think what you need is another configuration: a MGS/1-2EM.
This is a MGS/1 68k CPU and 4 slot chassis (w s/w), two Ethernets on
an MCI card (-2E) and the memory card you want (-M).  My current price
sheet says that comes to $9850 list.  And you have a slot left over
for up to two more Ethernets.

	The two Enet CGS/1 lists for $6995.  So, you pay $2855 for the
memory and larger chassis.

	I am very surprised the salesperson made such a mistake on
your order.  Did you order directly from cisco or from one of their
new independent tech reps?  I bet if you explained the situation and
gave them some more money they would trade your CGS in on the MGS.

	BTW, I'm not a cisco salesman, I just decoded their price list
when I recently ordered a gateway and terminal server.

	Kent England, Boston University