[comp.dcom.lans] Protocol Analyzer?

tomfout@techsup.UUCP (10/25/88)

I'm looking for a protocol analyzer.
It needs to be able to handle a large number
of protocols and yet still be fairly inexpensive.
I can't give an exact price range yet as I don't
know my budget yet.
If anybody has any suggestions please post them
here. my location will be changing soon and I'm
not sure what path will be needed to reach me.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas Fout aka TRouT

dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) (10/26/88)

In article <5500003@techsup>, tomfout@techsup.UUCP writes:
> I'm looking for a protocol analyzer.
> It needs to be able to handle a large number
> of protocols and yet still be fairly inexpensive.
> I can't give an exact price range yet as I don't
> know my budget yet.

We recently purchased a protocol analyzer for less than $5K.  It is a
"roll your own" and consists of a Toshiba T3200 (any fast AT-class
portable with expansions slots would do), a Micom/Interlan NI5210 and
FTP Software's LANwatch.  I am very happy with it.  For an inexpensive
solution, I think it really has worked out well.  The commercial boxes
(Sniffer and LANalyzer) cost $15 to $20K and have some cuter features
such as bar charts showing network packet rates, etc, but as for being
able to pick up packets at a high rate and look at them in detail, I
think my solution is just as good.  FTP even provides hooks for you to
be able to write support for your own protocols.  It comes with code
that supports lots of protocols.  You would have to talk to them about
what is in the current distribution.

Cheers,

Dale Smith, Assistant Director of Network Services

Internet: dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu
BITNET:	dsmith@oregon.bitnet
Voice:	(503) 686-4394
USmail:	University of Oregon
	Computing Center
	Eugene, OR  97403-1212

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with the above mentioned firms except
	being a happy user of their products.

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/26/88)

In article <5500003@techsup>, tomfout@techsup.UUCP writes:

> I'm looking for a protocol analyzer.
> It needs to be able to handle a large number
> of protocols and yet still be fairly inexpensive.
> Thomas Fout aka TRouT

Our LANWatch is a software-only protocol analyzer.  You supply the PC
and the network interface.  Spend more on a fast PC or network interface
and it will perform better.  It understands IP well, Chaosnet, DECnet,
XNS and 802.2 headers less well.  We supply source for packet filtering
and parsing routines with the product (needs Microsoft C to re-build it),
so you can add specialized packet types, etc.  The current version comes
with more filter/parsing routines than will fit in a single executable,
which we will fix in the next release.  We sell it for $1200 quantity 1.

There is also the MIT/CMU Netwatch program, distributed with the PC-IP
public-domain TCP/IP package.  It doesn't have much in the way of
packet parsing or symbolic filters, though.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.
(617) 868-4878