[comp.dcom.lans] Experiences wanted: extending ethernet over fiber

swatt@rt1.eng.yale.edu (10/29/88)

From: Alan S. Watt <swatt@rt1.eng.yale.edu>

Who has experience with extending ethernet using fiber optic?
Specifically, we have a 5600' run to make over 62.5 fiber.  This fiber
is a newly-installed by SNET (local phone company), and is the highest
grade they offer.

I know about getting two DEC LAN-Bridge 1000's with the fiber option,
but this is very pricey.  I would like to use a standard bridge or
router on one end and some piece of transceiver compatible fiber optic
equipment on the other.  Several vendors make fiber-optic transceiver
cable extenders for about $500 each.

I would be interested in hearing about active star equipment, but I
don't think I want to invest in that just yet.

Does anyone have experience with these or other options?  If so
please follow up or E-mail me directly.  I need something absolutely
reliable, and preferably from a solid vendor.

	- Alan S. Watt
	  High Speed Networking, Science and Engineering Computing Facility
	  Dunham 232; (203) 432-4243,4007
	  watt-alan@cs.yale.edu

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (10/31/88)

In article <41631@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> swatt@rt1.eng.yale.edu writes:
>From: Alan S. Watt <swatt@rt1.eng.yale.edu>
>

>Who has experience with extending ethernet using fiber optic?
> [.....]
>Does anyone have experience with these or other options?  If so
>please follow up or E-mail me directly.  I need something absolutely
>reliable, and preferably from a solid vendor.

While I have no personal experience with the installation of fiber optic
extensions to Ethernet, I have had excellent experience with Glasgal
Communications' technical support.  I have had occasion to investigate doing
what you want to do, on behalf of my clients, and Glascal has invariably
provided  timely and accurate advice.  They are a nationwide company, with
offices in NYC and (I believe) Boston.  Their catalog is a great tutorial
on networking of all kinds.  Hope this helps.

Walt Novinger