[comp.dcom.lans] SNIFFER vs. Lanalyzer

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Greg_Baber) (10/25/88)

Hello,
My company is about to purchase an ethernet protocol analyzer and has narrowed
the choice down to two machines, THE SNIFFER from Network General and The
LanAlyzer from Excelan. Anyone who has used either of these two devices and
has anything either good or bad to say about them, I'd appreciate it. We're
interested in things like packet capture rate, completeness of protocol
interpretation, and ease of use. If anyone has done a study similar to ours,
please do not hesitate to call or email. Please, no salesmen, we're not look-
ing for hype.                        Thanks, gregb
--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		E-mail:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

ralph@geaclib.UUCP (Ralph Flotner) (11/04/88)

>From: gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Greg_Baber)

> My company is about to purchase an ethernet protocol analyzer and has narrowed
> the choice down to two machines, THE SNIFFER from Network General and The
> LanAlyzer from Excelan. Anyone who has used either of these two devices and
> has anything either good or bad to say about them, I'd appreciate it. We're
> interested in things like packet capture rate, completeness of protocol
> interpretation, and ease of use.

We completed an evaluation and a recommendation report on three Lan
Analyzers 6 months ago.  The three were the Sniffer, the Lanalyzer and
LANWatch.  The following is extracted from the recommendation report ...

All three units exhibited various strengths and weaknesses.  The
Sniffer is extremely user friendly, exhibits a modest degree of functionality
and carries a high price tag. It is the choice system to give a
technician to debug a customers LAN problem.  The LANWatch unit was simple,
inexpensive and
exhibited extensive filtering techniques important for problem
debugging.  LANWatch is suitable for troubleshooting or protocol
development on a low traffic LAN, that exhibits few problems.  The
LANalyzer 5300 has a wealth of functionality, but user friendliness is
not one of its strengths.  It is about \$10,000 less than the Sniffer.
The LANalyzer 5300 is the choice system for LAN
installation/configuration, LAN Monitoring, determining Network
Performance and developing/install communication software.

... Notes:We purchased LANWatch with PC/IP for our research LAN, but
          will acquire the LANalyzer once we go into production.

          The LANalyzer has NO display mode filtering.  Playing with
          captured data to focus in on an occurence.

          If you want the Sniffer, investigate the Micom solution, which
          is the Sniffer repackaged, so that you don't have to purchase
          an AT at a premium price (comes with software and comm card).

Hope this helps.

--
* Ralph Flotner         [ mnetor, yunexus , utgpu]!geac!geaclib!ralph *
* Geac Computers                                                      *