[comp.dcom.lans] Do you know about TCL?

cball@ishmael (11/15/88)

There was an outfit called TCL demonstrating twisted-pair ethernet on
the InterOP88 floor show.  Unlike Synoptics, whose implementation requires
a repeater to connect it to a coax network, TCL's implementation is
basically a multiport transciever with twisted-pair out to a "transciever"
that reformats signals from twisted-pair to normal drop cables.
The advantage is that TCL's implementation connects to normal coax with
a transciever instead of two transcievers and a repeater.  In short, TCL
appears to have a product that is both less expensive and more flexible.
The problem is that other than the aforementioned trade show, I've never
heard of TCL.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with TCL equipment or better
yet with their twisted-pair ethernet products?

Thanks for any info,
Charles Ball			cball@inmet.inmet.com
Intermetrics, Inc.		uunet!inmet!cball

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (11/17/88)

In article <123500001@ishmael> cball@ishmael writes:

>There was an outfit called TCL demonstrating twisted-pair ethernet on
>the InterOP88 floor show.  Unlike Synoptics, whose implementation requires
>a repeater to connect it to a coax network, TCL's implementation is
>basically a multiport transciever with twisted-pair out to a "transciever"
>that reformats signals from twisted-pair to normal drop cables.
>The advantage is that TCL's implementation connects to normal coax with
>a transciever instead of two transcievers and a repeater.  In short, TCL
>appears to have a product that is both less expensive and more flexible.

	Sounds like you are asking how to connect to a "backbone"
network.  Most of the vendors working on Ethernet concentrators are
allowing for a "back-end" connection to a backbone or trunk Ethernet
independently of the "front-end" twisted pair transceiver connection.
There isn't really any difference between the "back-end" and the
"front-end" except to allow for the kind of media flexibility you want
and, for the future, to be able to plug in bridge functionality
instead of simple repeating.  All these TP concentrators use multiport
repeater technology, not multiport transceiver technology.

	I suggest you look at:
	Cabletron MMAC
	Ungermann-Bass Access/One
	Hewlett-Packard
	TCL
	David Systems
	Wang
	and there must be others I've overlooked here that were
involved in the 10BaseT standard effort.

	You will find that most of these vendors have options for the
type of "backbone" Ethernet that the concentrator can attach to.

>The problem is that other than the aforementioned trade show, I've never
>heard of TCL.

	TCL isn't as well known as it might be.  TCL came out of PARC
where TCL principals built the first transceivers for Ethernet.

chris@spock (Chris Ott) (11/17/88)

     Sure, I've heard of TCL. Silicon Graphics ships TCL Ethernet
transceivers with their IRISes. We also bought a multiport transceiver
from them. After a year and a half, we've never had any problem with
either of them. The single TCL trancseivers aren't as pretty as the 3 Com
transceivers, but they sure are a heck of a lot easier to install.

     The multiport transceivers are great. You take a single transceiver,
attach it to the Ethernet coax, and plug the drop cable into a port on
the multiport box. Then you can plug eight computers into the box without
making another tap onto the coax. Better yet, when all eight ports are
full, and you need to add another machine, there's still no need to make
another tap onto the cable; just buy another multiport box. You can take
an output from the first multiport box and plug it into the input of the
second, effectively giving you seven more connections without another
tap on the coax. As far as I know, this goes to infinity.

     They have a big advantage over the DELNI multiports is that, when
DELNIs go bad, you have to send back the whole box. With the TCL multiports,
each port is on its own seperate board, so you just have to send back the
port that went bad. They are also cheaper to replace that way. You can even
get a box with less than eight ports in it, if you don't have the money
to spend on a full box.

     I have no association with TCL other than being a very satisfied
customer.

--Chris

 Chris Ott
 Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab            Just say "Whoa!!" and
 University of Arizona                          vote for Randee!!

 Internet: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu
 UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!spock!chris

markf@censor.UUCP (54328745) (11/18/88)

In addition to the other companies listed as having direct coax
connections for their twisted pair implementations, SynOptics now
has a concentrator that contains a single AUI port to connect to a
coax transceiver.  The Model 2530 Workgroup Concentrator contains
8 twisted pair ports (RJ-45 connectors) and the AUI port.  It implements
the repeater function as well.  It can be integrated into the rest of the
SynOptics star-wired architecture.

sh: q: not found

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (11/18/88)

We've used TCL equipment for a few years now.  We have several
of their multiport transceivers.  We have not had any fail.

Recently we switched over to Inmac gear - it tends to have
a bit more in the way of status indicators.  Nice for
debugging problems ever now and then.

				Rick Spanbauer
				SUNY/Stony Brook

wallace@cme-durer.ARPA (Evan Wallace) (11/18/88)

In article <853@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, chris@spock (Chris Ott) writes:
> ... You can take
> an output from the first multiport box and plug it into the input of the
> second, effectively giving you seven more connections without another
> tap on the coax. As far as I know, this goes to infinity.

Remember however that the total length of a drop (AUI) cable cannot
exceed 50 meters.  That means from any machine to the trunk cable.
Check with TCL on a limit on the number of boxes that can be daisy
chained, I have heard conflicting reports on this.

I agree with the general tone of the quoted message.  Our TCL multiport
tranceivers have proved reliable and flexible during the four years
we have used them.

Advantages of the multiport concept have been:

		ease of isolation for debugging purposes
		ease of installation (fewer taps)
		increase in effective cable length (none wasted adding multiple
			taps for a single room)
		ease of reconfiguration (move box from net to net easily)
		improved overall reliability (taps have been the least reliable
			part of are E'net installations)

Disadvantages:
		?

Evan K. Wallace at the
National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly the NBS)

wallace@cme.nbs.gov
uunet!cme-durer!wallace

eshop@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jim Warner) (11/20/88)

In article <735@morticia.cme-durer.ARPA> wallace@cme-durer.ARPA (Evan Wallace) writes:
>In article <853@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, chris@spock (Chris Ott) writes:
>
>Disadvantages:
>                ?

I have no complaints with the electrical properties of TCL transceivers.
They work fine.  I don't, however, like their vampire tap.  The problem
I see is it has exposed metal that is electrically connected to the outer
shield of the yellow cable.  It is too easy for a transceiver in a cable
tray or under a raised floor to be inadvertantly moved so that the metal
clamp makes contact to building steel.  Instant ground loop.  An Ethernet
segment must be grounded in one and only one place.

If you're going to use their transceivers, take pains to be sure that
the exposed clamp can't come in contact with ground.  I'd rather not be
that careful -- so I haven't been buying their transceivers.

jim warner
U.C. Santa Cruz