[comp.dcom.lans] Useable telnet for Univation PC boards

kramer@bionette.ucs.orst.edu (Jack Kramer - CMBL) (12/06/88)

Our computer center has installed Univation boards in  our teaching
and general access PC labs.  The FTP telnet software that is used
with these boards is totally inadequate for teaching and scientific
use.  There is no scrollback or no tek emulation for instance.  I
called Univation to try to get info but no one there knew about TCP/IP.
They only wanted to talk about Novell.  I also tried several times to
call FTP but was never able to get through.

The much better public domain telnets such as from NCSA, which have all
the desired extensions for PC based terminal emulation, do not support
the Univation boards.  Does anyone know of telnet software with the
normally accepted terminal emulation extensions that will work with the
Univation boards in PC and PS2 machines?

Jack Kramer
Biological Computing Resource
Milne Computer Center
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331
(503)754-3045

paul@ppgbms (Paul Matz) (12/09/88)

In article <7731@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, kramer@bionette.ucs.orst.edu (Jack Kramer - CMBL) writes:

> The FTP telnet software that is used
> with these boards is totally inadequate for teaching and scientific
> use.  There is no scrollback or no tek emulation for instance.

	The problem with Univation is that they are shipping an old version
of tcp/link, and a subset at that.  Call FTP for current details, but
get at least version 1.16, if not 2.x.  These implementations are some
of the only tcp implementations that work with novell netware.
Univation's card seems very dependable, and is one of the few cards whose
software is configurable from an ascii config file (irq, dma, i/o),
which is real handy (love that gensh stuff).  They soon are to be
shipping 1.16 themselves.

	The terminal emulation works much better in 1.16.  And, no I don't have
stock in either company.

	Paul Matz
	PPG Biomedical Systems
	Pleasantville, NY.
	914-741-4685
	ppgbms!paul

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (12/10/88)

In article <7731@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, kramer@bionette.ucs.orst.edu (Jack Kramer - CMBL) writes:
> Our computer center has installed Univation boards in  our teaching
> and general access PC labs.  The FTP telnet software ....

Univation resells our "generic" PC/TCP, which uses a Packet Driver (written
by Univation) to do all network I/O.

> The much better public domain telnets such as from NCSA, which have all
> the desired extensions for PC based terminal emulation, do not support
> the Univation boards.  Does anyone know of telnet software with the
> normally accepted terminal emulation extensions that will work with the
> Univation boards in PC and PS2 machines?

Well, MIT/CMU/Harvard PCIP is available in a version that can use Univation's
Packet Driver.  So is Phil Karn's KA9Q package.  Regrettably, they don't have
the "normally accepted terminal emulation extensions" you want, either.  So,
you need NCSA (the only TCP/IP for DOS which does this).  You (or someone else)
could take the NCSA code and write a "generic" Packet Driver version for it.

I haven't heard anything indicating that this is being done, but it should be
a lot less work than writing a driver for the Univation card from scratch.
If you choose to go direct, the card is a straightforward memory-mapped 82586
implementation, and the NCSA NI5210 driver would be a good starting point.

We've added multiple sessions and a built-in FTP server for our 2.03 release,
but not scrollback or Tek emulation.

> Jack Kramer

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.