[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting printer to terminal server

mike@wucs1.wustl.edu (Mike Ehlers) (12/08/88)

We are attempting to connect a printer to a SUN over a LAN (ethernet)
using a MICOM-Interlan NTS/TCP (NTS100) terminal server.  The printer
is an Apple Laserwriter II, using the transcript software (latest
modification date shown as Sept 1984), modified to open a socket for
the communication to printer instead of the physical device.  The
problem is that it works intermittently, sometimes the file
successfully prints and other times nothing is printed, although data
is sent to the printer.  Shorter files seem to have higher probability
of success, but we have had success with long files as well. The
printer uses XON/XOFF flow control, but the port on the terminal
server is configured to handle it.

Any suggestions or other information on what to try would be
appreciated.

Michael Ehlers				mike@wucs1.wustl.edu
Department of Computer Science		uunet!wucs1!mike
Washington University			(314)-889-4587
Box 1045, Bryan 509
1 Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130   USA

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (12/09/88)

In article <608@wucs1.wustl.edu> mike@wucs1.wustl.edu (Mike Ehlers) writes:

>We are attempting to connect a printer to a SUN over a LAN (ethernet)
>using a MICOM-Interlan NTS/TCP (NTS100) terminal server.  The printer
>is an Apple Laserwriter II
>The
>problem is that it works intermittently, sometimes the file
>successfully prints and other times nothing is printed, although data
>is sent to the printer.

	Sounds to me like a postscript problem, not a serial comm
problem.  I have postscript files that often fail to print with no
postscript error message.  This is usually for postscript stuff I get
over the net.
	We use a LaserWriter on LocalTalk as a printer for a sun
system using the "papif" part of CAP, the Columbia AppleTalk Package.
This works quite well, so your serial connection can be made to work
if you can solve the postscript problems.  I bet transcript is having
a problem talking to the LW.  Ask on comp.lang.postscript [?] and on
comp.protocols.appletalk for details.

bae@unisoft.UUCP (Hwa Jin Bae) (12/10/88)

I seem to remember having similar problems with Cisco terminal server
and transcript software.  I fixed it by doing 'setbuf(socket_ptr, NULL)'
to turn off buffering on the socket.  Of course, you will need a file
pointer (fdopen(socket_descriptor, "r+")) not descriptor.

/hjb
--
 Hwa Jin Bae               bae@tis.llnl.gov       (Internet)
 UniSoft                   bae@unisoft.UniSoft    (smail uucp)