[comp.dcom.lans] Smart Bridge/Router

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (12/14/88)

Does anyone know of a router/bridge that can be setup to restict/allow
access according to the packet's ethernet address.  We want to set up
a Novell network with one server for academic users (students) and one
for administractive users (such as the business office).  While we want
some people to have access to both servers, we do not want students to
have access to the administrative server.  Is there a router that would
allow some users immediate access to both servers (according to the user's
ethernet address), while restricting other stations to just one or the
other server.  There are ways within Novell to do what we want, but
Novell's security is a question mark so we would rather really on hardware
means of restricting access.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--
Paul H. Steele      UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (12/15/88)

In article <1448@aucs.UUCP> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
>Does anyone know of a router/bridge that can be setup to restict/allow
>access according to the packet's ethernet address.
>[...]
>Is there a router that would
>allow some users immediate access to both servers (according to the user's
>ethernet address), while restricting other stations to just one or the
>other server.

	The Proteon p4200 IP routing software allows you to filter
packets based on masks on the IP address.  You can make it an
inclusive or exclusive list and you can mask on source and destination
addresses.
	One simple access control list use that we have tried is to
restrict nodes with IP host parts of 192 and above to the local
network (ie, restrict off-campus access).  That way our name czar can
assign addresses based on access privilege (and relieve the network
crew of the job).  It works, but it still isn't terribly secure.
	Of course, every datagram must go through the filter and
that's a performance hit.  Keep the list short and limit it to as few
routers as possible.
	Access control in an IP router based on Ethernet addresses is
less desireable than based on IP addresses.

	Kent England, Boston University

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (12/16/88)

The restricted router wouldn't be sufficient if the students could get
to the wire.  All I'd have to do is wait until adminstrator wasn't using
their machine and I could use their hardware address to access the server.

-Ron

herbison@ultra.dec.com (B.J.) (12/17/88)

> Does anyone know of a router/bridge that can be setup to restict/allow
> access according to the packet's ethernet address.

        [In addition to making restrictions based on addresses, you
        also need some way to verify that nodes are using the correct
        address.  You don't want a student system to change its address
        and impersonate a system in the business office.]

        Digital sells products that provide security for Ethernet LANs
        and  extended LANs.  Digital's Ethernet Enhanced-Security System
        provides data confidentiality, data integrity, and also
        implements an access control policy for the LAN.

        The system consists of DESNC controllers that perform encryption
        and VAX KDC software that manages the controllers.  A LAN is
        most secure if all nodes on a LAN are connected to DESNC
        controllers (which support up to 20 nodes each), but in many
        situations it is only necessary to use DESNC controllers for
        some nodes.

        For example, the environment described could be protected by
        only using DESNC controllers with administrative systems and
        servers.  The result would be:

            It would be possible to decide which systems could
            communicate with the administrative server or systems, and
            have this decision enforced by the DESNC controllers.

            No student system could communicate with one administrative
            system and pretend to be another administrative system.

            It would not be possible for student systems to read or
            modify communication between administrative systems.

            It would still be possible to allow administrative systems
            to communicate with the academic server, or anything other
            system on the LAN.

        DESNC controllers operate at the Data Link layer, they are
        transparent to any higher layer network protocols and they work
        with both Ethernet and IEEE 802 frame formats.

        If you have questions about these products, or want additional
        information, contact a DEC salesman or send me mail.

						B.J.
					Herbison@ULTRA.DEC.COM
					Herbison%ULTRA.DEC.COM@decwrl.DEC.COM