[comp.dcom.lans] MAIL Programs for LANs and internet mail?

morrison@accuvax.nwu.edu (Vance Morrison ) (12/16/88)

Hello,

I think this question has been asked before, but the state of the
art changes so quickly in LAN technology that it deserves to be
asked again.

My problem is that I need a Mail program for PC Lan that can
coexist (that is bridge mail between) with Minicomputers running
Internet style mail (SMTP).   In particular I need a solution
for Apple Localtalk networks connected via a Fastpath, and a
Novell network connected in a yet to be determined way.  We have
some local solutions to these problems (if anyone is interested
I can share what I know) but my manager whats to make sure that
we are not missing any potential solutions.

Thanks

Vance Morrison
Northwestern Univ.

edb@fai.UUCP (Edward Bunch) (12/17/88)

In article <417@accuvax.nwu.edu.NWU.EDU> morrison@accuvax.nwu.edu (Vance Morrison ) writes:
>I need a Mail program for PC Lan that can
>coexist (that is bridge mail between) with Minicomputers running
>Internet style mail (SMTP).   In particular I need a solution
>for Apple Localtalk networks connected via a Fastpath, and a
>Novell network connected in a yet to be determined way.

I don't know about the Novell network but, I'm Beta testing Mail*Link by
Starnine that will solve the SMTP for Mac's if you have a Sun 3 running
3.x. It should be going to pre-release next week. Its not SMTP directly from
the Mac yet, but it does the job.

Here's the breakdown:
Two software bridges.  One on the Sun and one on the Mac.
The Sun software runs daemon and registers itself with nbpd. Oh yea, you need
TOPS nbpd. On the Mac side you use CE Software's QuickMail and Starnine's
mail-bridge just like any other. Supports nice features like enclosed mac
binaries, with uuencode on the Sun.

Starnine tells me that they are working on a direct SMTP version also.
QuickMail is a really nice interface for those easily spooked secretaries.

Disclaimer: I don't own any stock in any of the above mentioned companies.

--
Edward A. Bunch                       UUCP: {uunet,amdahl,sun}!fai!edb
Fujitsu America, Inc.                 DOMAIN: edb@fai.com