[comp.dcom.lans] Networked Oracle with VAXen

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (01/03/89)

Some customers of ours would like to use Oracle distributed DBMS with
their vaxes/pcs and our Networking stuff.  What is required for Oracle
to function in a networked environenment that is not all DEC.  We
support TCP and NETBIOS, is that enough or am I missing something.  I
think that Oracle/Netherlands is on the net.  If someone there can
send me email I would like to answer this question.

Thanks
{prlb2}!sunbim!syteke!jim (eunet)
{sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim (usenet)
--
Jim Sanchez
Sytek Brussels

ehoward@oracle.uucp (Elliot Howard) (01/05/89)

In article <120@syteke.UUCP> jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:

>Some customers of ours would like to use Oracle distributed DBMS with
>their vaxes/pcs and our Networking stuff.  What is required for Oracle
>to function in a networked environenment that is not all DEC.  We
>support TCP and NETBIOS, is that enough or am I missing something.  I
>think that Oracle/Netherlands is on the net.  If someone there can
>send me email I would like to answer this question.

1) Oracle SQL*Net TCP/IP supports VAX/VMS, PC/MS-DOS, IBM VM, IBM MVS,
DG AOS/VS, Macintosh, Xenix, and most of the available UNIX implementations.
Like all Oracle products, it is designed to work in a heterogenous
environment (any machine can talk to any machine.)
   On VMS you can use Excelan or Wollongong TCP/IP.
   On MS-DOS you can use Excelan Workplace, Micom Workstation or Micom
Gateway, or FTP.
   No PC/2 (Microchannel) cards are currently supported, but I'm working on
certifying the Ungermann-Bass PC-NIU card as we speak.

2) I don't know if Oracle/Netherlands is on the net, but Oracle/Belmont
(Corporate Headquarters) certainly is!

			Elliot Howard

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (01/06/89)

In article <544@oracle.UUCP>, ehoward@oracle.uucp (Elliot Howard) writes:

> 1) Oracle SQL*Net TCP/IP supports VAX/VMS, PC/MS-DOS, IBM VM, IBM MVS,
> DG AOS/VS, Macintosh, Xenix, and most of the available UNIX implementations.
> Like all Oracle products, it is designed to work in a heterogenous
> environment (any machine can talk to any machine.)
>    On VMS you can use Excelan or Wollongong TCP/IP.
>    On MS-DOS you can use Excelan Workplace, Micom Workstation or Micom
> Gateway, or FTP.
>    No PC/2 (Microchannel) cards are currently supported, but I'm working on
> certifying the Ungermann-Bass PC-NIU card as we speak.

When using Oracle with FTP's PC/TCP, you can use any MCA card we support.
At the moment, this includes the 3Com 3C523, the InterLAN NI9210, the
Western Digital WD8003/A, the Proteon P1800 and the IBM Token Ring Adapter
for the Microchannel.  Two or three more are in the works.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.