[comp.dcom.lans] PC clones and IBM Token Ring cards

chris@cs.columbia.edu (Chris Maio) (12/06/88)

Does anyone out there know the details of compatibility problems between AT
clones and IBM's PC/AT token ring cards?  I've heard that this card doesn't
work in some clones because it requires a couple of wait states but doesn't
implement the bus interface properly.  Are there any clones that are known
to work with the IBM TR cards?

Chris Maio
chris@columbia.edu
columbia!chris

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (12/07/88)

In article <37@cs.columbia.edu> chris@cs.columbia.edu (Chris Maio) writes:
>Does anyone out there know the details of compatibility problems between AT
>clones and IBM's PC/AT token ring cards?  I've heard that this card doesn't
>work in some clones because it requires a couple of wait states but doesn't
>implement the bus interface properly.  Are there any clones that are known
>to work with the IBM TR cards?

The computer store at Carnegie-Mellon claims to have a list of clones
known to work.  I'd like to see the list (the store was closed the last
time I was in Pittsburgh).

Could someone from CMU please post the list, if it's not much trouble.
Thanks in advance.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

glz5913@ultb.UUCP (G.L. Zeiger ) (12/09/88)

In article <1331@mtunb.ATT.COM> dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>In article <37@cs.columbia.edu> chris@cs.columbia.edu (Chris Maio) writes:
>>Does anyone out there know the details of compatibility problems between AT
>>clones and IBM's PC/AT token ring cards?  I've heard that this card doesn't

I know that they work in Compaq's, Zenith, and also in a "no-name" clone
that we had (We got rid of it for other reasons).  I'd think if you set
the switches on the card to reflect the proper interrupt vectors that
you should be ok (granted, this doesn't cover every SINGLE clone!).

--
Gary L. Zeiger            USENET:  ~rochester!kodak!pcid!gizzmo!lazlo!sysz!gary
                          BITNET:  GLZ5913@RITVAX

fk03+@andrew.cmu.edu (Frank Eugene Kietzke) (01/07/89)

Here is the CMU list, as it stands today.  Sorry for the delay, I have been
off the group for a while....

                                                   Camp 3/25/88

The machines that we have experience with that WORK with IBM Token Ring

        Type            PC/XT/AT     Tested By         Comments
Compaq 386              AT-Clone        GSIA
NCR PC8                 AT-clone        GSIA
Compaq Deskpro 286      AT-Clone        GSIA
Epson Equity II         XT-Clone        GSIA
Leading Edge Model D    XT-Clone        GSIA Clock interrupt was in conflict
                                             disable clock or set alternate
                                             TRN interrupt.
Mirage                  XT-Clone        Data Set to Inter. Level 3, the PC
                                             seemed to function fine.

ARC (model 10 Turbo)    XT-Clone        Data When working with clones with
                                             a faster clock speed, keep in
                                             mind that each IBM TR card is
ARC (model X Turbo)     XT-clone        Data different.  Try a few cards
                                             until one works.

AT&T                    XT-Clone        Data

P.C. Design GV286       AT-clone        Data    Works at 6mHz, but not at
                                                12mHz.

Maxum 286 Turbo         AT-clone        Data    Works at 6mHz, but not in
                                                Turbo mode.
Sperry IT               AT-clone        Data    Works at 6 and 8mHz,
                                                but not at 7.1mHz.

      Clone P.C.'s that DO NOT WORK with IBM Token Ring

        Type            PC/XT/AT     Tested By  Comments

Kaypro PC10             XT-Clone        GSIA
Panasonic Executive     XT-Clone        GSIA  Even using a expansion box that
Partner Portable                               allows IBM cards, we have not
                                               been able to get it to work.
Tandy 1000              PC-Clone        Data
Turbo M                 PC-Clone        Data
Samsung 3001 w/         AT-clone        Data
SMT motherboard
Fountain                AT-Clone        Data

Note:  In most cases IBM PC DOS must be used in place of the DOS supplied
            by the computer manufacturer.

Frank Kietzke
CMU Data Communications.
         ____