[comp.dcom.lans] WordPerfect net blues

fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/10/89)

	I have a problem with my networks (PC LAN and Token Ring)
	being able to properly handle WordPerfect when it prints
	a document to the server's printer.  When I give the print
	command to the program, the file immediatly spools to the
	server, but will not print until I exit all the way out of
	WP to DOS.

	There is a net version of WP that is supposed to handle this,
	but there has to be a cheaper solution!

	So, what's the secret?  How do I send an EOF to the server?

	Sorry if this has been covered before - I'm new here.

	Declan J. Fleming
	U of Ill.

norm@cfctech.UUCP (Norm Meluch) (01/11/89)

In article <11000005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>	I have a problem with my networks (PC LAN and Token Ring)
>	being able to properly handle WordPerfect when it prints
>	a document to the server's printer.  When I give the print
>	command to the program, the file immediatly spools to the
>	server, but will not print until I exit all the way out of
>	WP to DOS.
>
>	So, what's the secret?  How do I send an EOF to the server?

	I have been working on STARLAN networks for about the past 2 years.
  The same problem is exhibited there too.  The solution that i have found
  buried deep in the manuals is:

	Ctrl-Alt-PrtScrn

  (Note: the program on the PC must think that it is DONE printing).
  This will release the print spooling job.  MS Word is the only application
  (other than direct copies to the lpt port from DOS) that does not need this
  key sequence.  I personally find it minorly annoying, but livable.

	Any people at AT&T and or MS that can enlighten me/us as to why we
  need to do this?

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Norman J. Meluch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Mail:uunet!umix!cfctech!norm                         Voice: (313) 244-1809   |
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Note: The opinions expressed here are in no way to be confused with valid    |
|_______ideas or corporate policy._____________________________________________|

walt@sixwbn.UUCP (Walt Novinger) (01/12/89)

in article <11000005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu says:
> Nf-ID: #N:uxh.cso.uiuc.edu:11000005:000:565
> Nf-From: uxh.cso.uiuc.edu!fleming    Jan  9 22:29:00 1989
> 	I have a problem with my networks (PC LAN and Token Ring)
> 	being able to properly handle WordPerfect when it prints
> 	a document to the server's printer.  When I give the print
> 	command to the program, the file immediatly spools to the
> 	server, but will not print until I exit all the way out of
> 	WP to DOS.

Try the oddball key combination Ctrl-Alt-PrtScn -- as I recall from
our PC Lan installation, that should tell the LAN program to close the
spool file on your server and release the file for printing.  This
combination *is* documented, but you'll have to browse through the
manual to find it.
Walt Novinger          | ...!sun!plx!walt             |
Plexus Computers, Inc. | ...!sun!plx!sixwbn!walt      | Joke 'em if they can't
3833 N. First St.      |------------------------------|      take a f**k!
San Jose, CA 95134     | Disclaimer: You mean my      |
408-943-2406 (w)       |   boss might read this?      |     Robin Williams
415-964-9377 (h)       | Nah - he forgot his password!|

rnicovic@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ralph Nicovich) (01/12/89)

We have Word Perfect 5.0 on our network and it will print
properly to the network printer. I believe the printer
must be installed as though it was LPT1 on the local workstation.
It appears that when the printer is installed as com1: and then
redirected to the server the file is not closed properly.
Also there is a device driver called PRTSC that can be installed
via your autoexec.bat file. This driver watches for a ctrl-alt-prtsc
and then will issue the EOF when you hit this keystroke. It is
different for various keyboards and does not work for all applications
although it does work with Word Perfect. There is a hitch since WordPerfect
spools the file itself and allows you to go on and edit a different file.
If you do this crtl-alt-prtsc before WP is done you may only get
half the file out on the printer.

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (01/12/89)

In article <1924@cfctech.UUCP>, norm@cfctech.UUCP (Norm Meluch) writes:
> In article <11000005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >	I have a problem with my networks (PC LAN and Token Ring)
> >	being able to properly handle WordPerfect when it prints
> 	Ctrl-Alt-PrtScrn
>
> 	Any people at AT&T and or MS that can enlighten me/us as to why we
>   need to do this?

The problem is really with the application not the network.  An older technique
used by most vendors, is to keep all files open at all times on a PC to
increase preformance.  This was fine on a single user, single tasking
operating system.

The problem that you find on Lans, that since the file isn't closed, it isn't
released to the print queue.  Your Ctrl-Alt-PrtScrn sequence forces this to
occur.

The easiest way to get this feature in your favorite application, is to
mandate LAN compatability in all your applications.  For obvious reasons,
Microsoft was one of the first vendors to make their product LAN compatable
with most NETBIOS and MSNET compatable LANs.

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob

reh@ccd700.UUCP (reh) (01/14/89)

In article <11000005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> 	I have a problem with my networks (PC LAN and Token Ring)
> 	being able to properly handle WordPerfect when it prints
> 	a document to the server's printer.  When I give the print
> 	command to the program, the file immediatly spools to the
> 	server, but will not print until I exit all the way out of
> 	WP to DOS.
> 	So, what's the secret?  How do I send an EOF to the server?
> 	Declan J. Fleming
> 	U of Ill.

Just hold down Control and Alt and hit the "*" on the numeric keypad
to tell the server that the print job should be closed and printed.
WP opens LPT1 but does not close it till you exit to DOS, so the
print server cannot tell if the job is done until you exit or
hit the Control-Alt-keypad*.

Bob Harold                      313-845-5404
Ford Motor Co., DPTC room B-206 ...!ihnp4!mibte!ccd700!eed090!bob
17000 Rotunda Drive             Disclaimer: The views expressed might
Dearborn, MI 48121-6010         not be those of my employer or myself
Have questions about life?  Read the original design manual - the Bible.

spero@hposdl.HP.COM (Spero Koulouras) (01/14/89)

An application writes to the printer in the same way that it
writes to a disc file (simplified example):

  1.  It opens the file
  2.  It then writes to the opened file
  3.  And,  if well-behaved, it closes the file

  The problem is with point 3 above.  In the pre-network world there
  was no need to close the print file.  Data sent to the printer would
  pop out of the print head.  With the advent of network print spoolers,
  however, the file close became very important.  The spooler uses the
  close message to know that the complete file has been received.  In
  many spooler implementations data is not sent from the spooler to the
  printer until either a close is received or a timeout occurs.  The
  CTRL-ALT-PRTSC forces the file close message and causes the file to
  be printed.

  Spero Koulouras
  Hewlett-Packard

In article <6954@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> rnicovic@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ralph Nicovich) writes:
>We have Word Perfect 5.0 on our network and it will print
>properly to the network printer. I believe the printer
>must be installed as though it was LPT1 on the local workstation.

If you have the network version of WP it will close each job properly
so the server will despool it, and it will work for LPT1, LPT2, or LPT3.

As another message mentioned you can sometimes fool non-network programs by
telling them to output to a disk file instead of a device, but give a filename
of LPT1 (or LPT2 or LPT3).  Dos will happily write to the device instead
(unless the application checks) and when the application closes the output
stream the network will despool the output.

Now, considering that this is a solved problem, why doesn't it work
with VP/IX?

Les Mikesell