[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet between buildings

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/14/89)

In article <13433@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter..bellcore.com
(Phil R. Karn) writes:
>Your bliss may end the next time you have a nearby lightning strike. For a
>few microseconds, you may find yourself with a 10kv potential difference
>between your building grounds. Ask the network people at the University
>of Delaware.

We lost a few transceivers this way once.  Lightning is funny stuff,
though; only three out of >15 went out, with no particular pattern to
it.  Fortunately, the new building did eventually go up and we moved
back out of the gymnasium....

(And people wonder where I found time to work out :-) )

hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) (01/16/89)

>In article <13433@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter..bellcore.com
>(Phil R. Karn) writes:
>>Your bliss may end the next time you have a nearby lightning strike. For a
>>few microseconds, you may find yourself with a 10kv potential difference
>>between your building grounds. Ask the network people at the University
>>of Delaware.

We ran fiber optics cables between the 15th floor of one downtown
building, and the 6th floor of another one a block away. Works well.
--
Greg